1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need Advice Workstation PC

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Hayder_Master, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    hello guys, my friend want to build a workstation pc so he came to me for advice, he work on 3d max and he don't have a high budget so i tell him about this what u think guys, advice please.
    we talk about mobo,cpu,ram,gpu the rest is ok like psu ssd hdd and ...
    1-is ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007KGXY0K/?tag=tec06d-20
    2-CPU really confused about it two of Xeon E5 2620 or E5-2650 or something with high clock i don't know how much high clock effect on performance in workstation so did not know going with more core and cash or high clocks, how much be the different in performance.
    3-rams think about non ECC rams i see corsair vengeance 32Gb kit 4x8g is coo or maybe i am wrong.
    4- gpu i see Quadro 6000 is cool
    5- tell me about installing it's just like my desktop right or there is another things ? i chose this mobo cuz it's like x79 should be easy.
    thanks a lot

2. buildzoid

buildzoid

Thanks Received:
    Between Intel cpus of the same architecture multicore performance ~ ghz x core count. So an octa core at 2ghz is about the same as a quad core at 4ghz or a sixteen core at 1ghz. More cash is almost always better but will not overrule the first statement that performance ~ ghz x core count.
    Installation is the same as a regular desktop.
    ECC is really useful for rendering because if you get one error you have to start over.

Hayder_Master says thanks.
  3. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    thanks so now i will go with the octa core i think , any more advice ? and the mobo is ok for this job ?

4. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    and what is this a good ecc ram deal

5. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    bump please any idea's

6. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Raw power wise, yes. Applications never scale up 100% every time you add a core. Faster and fewer cores are typically preferable to more cores and lower clocks unless you have an application that is optimized for that many cores. Additionally, I find your reasoning flawed because you run into different issues with more cores such as increased cache size (which increases latency) and lower memory speeds due to ECC and/or registered memory. So overall, your comparison is flawed and it needed to be pointed out.

The motherboard needs to support registered/ecc memory if he is going to go that route. The DIMMs are keyed physically differently, however machines that use non-ECC DIMMs will sometimes have a software level of ECC that you can enable, however it uses extra memory because you don't have that dedicated bank to store ECC parity.

Op: You said his budget is fairly low. What exactly do you mean by that? Do you have a number in mind? Also what kind of 3dsmax work does he do? Not all modeling projects have the same kind of computational demands.

7. buildzoid

buildzoid

Thanks Received:
    As far as just rendering 3D goes the example I gave is true I admit that fewer faster cores are better in terms of flexibility but if you use a renderer like what blender has then scaling is almost perfect if you use a bad renderer that can only use x cores you need more frequency and less cores.

The motherboard he picked supports ECC so that's why I said it's better to use than not.

8. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    thanks guys any recommended parts
    let w say around 3000-3500 and up a bit for mobo and 2 cpu's also rams