1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need advice

Discussion in 'Games' started by fasteddy2020, Mar 21, 2014.

1. fasteddy2020

Thanks Received:
    I need some advice on a game. I don't generally play games on my computer, I haven't owned a console system since the original Playstation and that never really got used. The last time I spent any significant time playing games was on the Sega Genesis. So here is my question, I have an itch to play a game(s) but I am really out of touch with what is out there. In the past I have enjoyed playing the original Diablo but never spent much time playing it after the first level. I used to love playing the Carnivore series and Cabela's games. My computer should not have any trouble playing games so I just need some recommendations. For those going to ask I have a i7 2600k, Asrock Extreme 4, 16gb ram, Samsung EVO 750 GB SSD and EVGA 560 video card. I am not looking to spend hours of time playing. Just something I can progress on and is engaging. RPG is fine as long as I don't need to find the dark orc pancreas on level one to fuel the fluxcapacitor on level 2 to achieve nirvana on level three so I can travel through time to buy a can opener to save princess Natalia from the James and the Giant Peach(can). I also don't want to play something WoW or any other online world games, this lone wolf likes to hunt solo. That being said and for others who may be wondering, I don't live in my mom's basement and yes I have been laid (married with 2 kids)
    Arjai says thanks.
  2. Devon68

Devon68

Thanks Received:
    Maybe try Fallout 3 or fallout 3 new vegas.
    fasteddy2020 says thanks.
  3. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    To add to Devon68 recommendation: same playstyle of RPG would be Oblivion or Skyrim. Just like Fallout 3 and New Vegas, you can do whatever you want, go wherever you want and do whatever you do in no particular order, or do nothing.

Most other RPG's that I play seem to have some linearity to them, and that doesn't seem like that's what you want. But if you head down that road (no linear joke there), then the STALKER series, which can be modded to suit your taste are available on GOG without DRM, and I'd even count Alpha Protocol as a good, fun, semi-RPG.
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  4. 64K

Thanks Received:
    The above suggestions are all great choices. I would like to throw in a recommendation to try the Mass Effect series if you like Sci Fi.
  5. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
    Id say the Dead Space series, first is by far the best but the others are still great.
  6. ur6beersaway

ur6beersaway

Thanks Received:
    Cabela's® Big Game Hunter® Pro Hunts Being released March 25 2014
  7. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    The original Crysis is mind blowing. Linear gameplay but the story, gameplay and graphics are just plain awesome. And... you can save at ANY point in the game.

To bad you didn't play the original Half Life. The sequels are awesome too, but personally don't know how I'd feel not having played the first one.
  8. Hilux SSRG

Hilux SSRG

Thanks Received:
    Go for Skyrim: open character progression, huge world to explore, and very fun.
  9. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Path of Exile, its free to play so if you don't like it you can try something else! Its basically Diablo 2 with an enormous skill tree.
  10. fasteddy2020

Thanks Received:
    Well I looked at all the suggested games. I signed up for steam and unfortunately went a bit crazy. I bought Oblivion, Skyrim, Big Game Hunter, Diablo 3 and pre-ordered the new expansion plus a bunch of other stuff. Thanks for all the suggestions.
    xenocide and RCoon say thanks.
  11. Bansaku

Bansaku

Thanks Received:
    Have fun with The Elder Scrolls, you'll never finish them! Diablo III on the other hand is awesome, and the expansion looks insane! If you are looking for more to play, I highly recommend the Mass Effect Trilogy (and the DLC); Honestly probably one of the most epic stories one can easily play through.
  12. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    Awesome! One word of caution. On Oblivion in Steam, make sure to turn off "in-game content" in your steam options for it, or you'll never get it working! Enjoy
  13. M0rt

Thanks Received:
    South Park: The Stick of Truth

Fantastically twisted and no problem for your 560.
  14. Hilux SSRG

Hilux SSRG

Thanks Received:
    Just a word of advice - play Oblivion prior to Skyrim. You won't want to go back.
  15. fasteddy2020

Thanks Received:
    I decided I am going to buy Mass Effect also because it has been recommended a couple of times. I looked at South Park but did not want to be disappointed, looks like I will look into that.
  16. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    I think you'll enjoy it. Although linear, it is a fantastic piece of writing that almost feels as if you are playing a movie!
  17. Hnykill22

Hnykill22

Thanks Received:
    Saints Row 3 and 4 are also great games.
  18. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Probably should beat some of those games before you get any more, I have an enormous back log of games to beat doing the same thing as you LOL
  19. fasteddy2020

Thanks Received:
    I really like Titan Quest, Desert Gunner and Cabelas Dangerous Hunts (always one of my favorites) so far. I bought a couple of stinkers but for a couple of bucks you can't really go wrong. I probably should wait, but.... My credit card called today and wanted to know if all the charges to Steam were me. I had to laugh. I might have a problem.
  20. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Did you try Path of Exile yet?
  21. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    You have a good start there that should keep you busy a while. Might I also suggest adding the DLC to Mass Effect once you get around to it. From Ashes, Shadow Broker, Omega, Leviathan and Citadel are all must haves.

The only bummer is, you can get the ME trilogy dirt cheap, but I've yet to see all the best DLC bundled at a decent price. Maybe by the time you finish all 3 games Steam will have a special on a comprehensive ME DLC pack.
  22. fasteddy2020

Thanks Received:
    I was going to last night but Diablo III came in the mail and my boy and I were playing that for a couple of hours. My favorite game so far. Path of Exile will have to be Thursday, I have Lodge the next 2 nights. My head is spinning with all the coolness. The graphics compared to the Sega Genesis days is unreal. My boy could not believe that the beginning of Diablo III was not real people.
  23. MustSeeMelons

Thanks Received:
    All the recommended games are great, but I can't believe no one has mentioned Dragon Age, so I'll be the first to do that! It's like Mass Effect, just with swords and dragons.
  24. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    While Path of Exile is my favourite game so far this year, it certianly does not have the quickness or ease of play Diablo III has. D3 is very newb friendly, POE definitely isn't and takes months on end to get anywhere truly awesome in the game, because the passive tree is extremely complicated, and the game punishes you for not making a build both powerful enough or tough (life and armor nodes and ele resists)
  25. fasteddy2020

Thanks Received:
    I looked at the Path of Exile website and it looks awesome, I am excited to try it.

Dragon's Age looks pretty cool too. I will put that on my list.

Anyone know of a game in this genre that is of the old west? I think that would be cool. I've looked and can't find anything. Just wondering.