1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need Build Advice

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by grimzz R, May 4, 2011.

1. grimzz R New Member

Thanks Received:
    I almost got the money for this build, but i need someone to help me find a motherboard(i suck at boards).

I want to OC my CPU to 4.5Ghz and i also want to OC my RAM.

My uses will be:

Competitive Gaming(with fraps recording):
    CoD4
    SC2
    WoW
    quake
    counter strike

Use of the Black Magic intensity shuttle capture card recording fully uncompressed.

Great Video editing for video game montages and anime music videos/AMV's.

2. Blubberb New Member

Thanks Received:
    In general: If you wanna OC on Sandy Bridge you need a Board with Intels P67 or the new Z-Series.

So for example a ASUS P8P67. Be on the lookout for Rev.3 und a UEFI instead of old BIOS.

But i wouldnt recommend buying that build you suggest in that way. I´d say think about these points again:

Power Supply: You need 750W ? planing to go SLI or have like 5 HDDs? If not u should get around 500W or even lower. Otherwise your Systems is very ineffective.

Memory: Sandy Bridge isnt affected by higher Ram Clocks in the way the old x58 based Intels are anymore. If u are on low budget u should go to 1333 MHz instead. Standard Value is pretty Cheap atm. And u stil can OC it a bit. Funny thing on Sandy Bridge is: if u OC the CPU and are not tuning the Multiplier, instead going for the BCLK (Stock is 100.0) u OC ur Ram too.

U could put the Saving into a better VideoCard. For Example the 560 ti or the hd6950. Both have more ram!

3. grimzz R New Member

Thanks Received:
    You sure i need a different graphics card? Ill be using a 1680x1050 monitor and only want a minimum of 30fps in SC2 and a minimum of 60fps in the other games i mentioned.

Edit: i plan on getting these hard drives, i just use the western digital to round up the price.

Last edited: May 4, 2011
  4. (FIH) The Don

(FIH) The Don

Thanks Received:
    i have the 1gb 460 and i can play most games in 1920x1200 on medium or more.

so it will be fine for 1680x1050

as Blubberb recommended the P8P67 is one of the best "budget" P67 boards you can get, and besides, if you want more gaming power get another 460 later on

or get a 560 now and be fine with it :)

how about this case? COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS ...

or COOLER MASTER RC-692-KKN3 CM690 II Basic Black Ste...

both GREAT cases

the 300 had its time, and has served it well, time to move on :p

5. Rowsol

Rowsol

Thanks Received:
    The 5850 is a great card but using a 4.5ghz cpu with it seems loose. You could save a ton of money with a i3 2100 and an h61 board and get very similar framerates. Also, 750w is overkill for a single 5850. 550w is sufficient.

6. Blubberb New Member

Thanks Received:
    Rowsol got my point. Its not that i think youu need more gaming power. The GTX 460 from earlier or the HD 5850 are both great cards with great value. But If you decide to buy this Processor and this card u really dont need:

1) 750 W Powersupply: 80 Plus Certified means: Best electrical efficiency at 80% of it max capacity. So in the case of a 750W PSU you should have around 600W consumption.
    The GTX 460 is consuming around 250W (load!!!) and a 2500k 150W (load!!!) u can calculate with another ~120W (u hav 3 HDDs and 1 Optical !??) for all the other stuff like hard drives opticals drives etc. You can see even if your system is FULLY under load (which technically will never happen: All HDD spin, opticals spin, processor running Prime :p, Videocard running 3DMark ) Better go for 550W or even lower if u stay with a Corsair or similar quality.

2) High Clock Ram. Again the Ripjaws X feel kinda wasted... Check out this Value Ram: click
    Would save you 60$.

The P8P67 Pro is a pretty nice one. I have it too (at µATX factor). If u want to cut back a little more you can check out the MSI Boards with P67. They offer uEFI too and are a bit more competitive at pricing. Just make sure its B3 version and has all the connectors u need.
    Performance is nearly the the same on all P67 Boards.

Since u wanna OC the 2500k the Cooler Master Hyper 212 might get a bit noisy when your CPU is stressed. Think about spending a bit more here maybe.

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  7. Zen_

Zen_

Thanks Received:
    Overall I think you picked out good stuff, one minor point though on the fans. Those 120mm Cooler Master fan packs are garbage! If you want a quiet setup with decent airflow I'd recommend the following:

Intake - 200mm Megaflow. Using 2x 120mm fans on the 912 will produce a fair amount of noise unless they are very low RPM.

Heatsink - Scythe Kama Flex PWM pushing, one of the 120mm fans from the case pulling. The stock heatsink fan is noisy and doesn't have very good static pressure.

Rear exhaust - The included fan should be enough, even though it's just 1200 RPM

Top exhaust - Not necessary

Door intake or exhaust - Produces an annoying rattle in my experience.

Not really, I'm using a 4.5 GHz 2500k with a 6850 (slightly slower than 5850) and it's fine. The fast CPU will help him record fraps with less FPS drop.