1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need Case Recommendation

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding & Electronics' started by ChaoticG8R, Sep 24, 2012.

1. ChaoticG8R

Thanks Received:
    Budget: Any (without customization required, like Newegg/NCIX etc supplied, not some custom deal from DangerDen or anything)
    Form Factor: ATX, preferentially Mid to large Mid (wants to avoid Full towers if possible)
    Goal: Full WC build. Visible guts: Wants the WC to look nice and be visible
    Current components: i7-3930k, ASUS P9X79 Deluxe, Ripjaw 4x8GB 2133 RAM, EVGA Signature GTX 690, XPSC Raystorm + Razor 690.

This will be a new build for a first time WC'er. Kit will likely be custom, so radiator dimensions/etc are currently unavailable for your recommendations. He currently has a first-gen core series system in a 600T, and is upgrading to an Sandy-E system. He wants to go "all-out" (within reason) with this build, WC will likely involve 2 GFX (1 GTX 690), 1 CPU, with the possibility of RAM/Northbridge (he likes the idea/look, even if it provides low functionality). There will probably be a second thread dedicated to cooling recommendations later as more of the hard components are assembled, but if you wish to add those along with your case selection, feel free!

So I would greatly appreciate your recommendations. I immediately said Switch 810 but he was worried about the size being too big (it's not off the table but would like more options). Please also don't just say a case, please attempt to give a pro/con to your selection, especially if they are against the initial requests (size/etc). Thanks so much everyone!!

If you feel this makes a huge difference, please provide your case selections for these options with said note.
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  2. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I would find out if you are going to be buying a triple rad or a pair of dual rads first. It will make a huge difference on case recommendations.
  3. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    ^^ This. Difference between big or huge case :)
  4. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    What sneeky says.

I have a TJ-07 and it's perfect for a 120.4 rad in the bottom compartment, with room for a 120.2 on the top grill and a single 120 in the front if you buy mesh front bay panels (Lian Li do them).

Also available with big side window and fits larger ATX boards.
  5. ChaoticG8R

Thanks Received:
    No one knows of anything? Updated SOME information - Some WC parts and GPU.
  6. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Well the Bit Fenix Ghost just reviewed here looks pretty nice. Only $100 too. Or what about one of the more affordable Corsair cases? Fractal makes nice stuff too.
  7. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    Damn, I also immediately thought Switch 810, but I guess he's afraid.

EDIT: Maybe he should watch video on NewEgg for the Switch 810. The girl who reviews it will make him a believer, if nothing else she is super easy on the eyes and ears. In fact, I'm going to watch it again.

EDIT EDIT:
    Newegg TV: NZXT Switch 810 Full Tower Computer Cas...
  8. ChaoticG8R

Thanks Received:
    No joke Alex, when I showed him that case...I was like...actually I want to quickly watch this video real fast...see if they added anything new.

LOL!! :)
  9. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    I watched that video and OMG I love that case! NZXT has really stepped up their game with the newer series cases they have!
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. ChaoticG8R

Thanks Received:
    The Ghost does look nice, but again, he definitely wants a windowed design to show off the WCing/etc
  11. ChaoticG8R

Thanks Received:
    Looks like hes going to swing for the Switch 810 :)
  12. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    It was that broad on the NewEgg vid, I know it was.:)
  13. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Ack missed that detail. Don't know anyone who can install one?
  14. Hood

Hood

Thanks Received:
    Corsair Obsidian 650D

I think the Corsair Obsidian 650D would be a great choice, because it's a mid-tower (21.5 x 9 x 20.5), it's got a large window in the right place, the HDD cages are removable/relocatable (more room for reservoirs/radiators), it's Corsair quality (very solid), and I believe you can fit a 240mm rad in the top, a 240 in the bottom, a 240 in the front, and a 120 in the back. I own it's little brother, the Carbide 400R and I'm very happy with it. The 650D is even more solid and has a brushed aluminum front panel instead of plastic. It comes with a couple of 200mm fans and a 140 in back. One or more of the large fans may have to be removed to fit radiators. This is the build I wish I could afford to do.
    EDIT - I was wrong, there's no cutouts for fans in the bottom (there is one in my case). But the top will fit a 280, and maybe the front will too, by removing the fan and 1 HDD cage and relocating the other cage rearward.
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  15. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    Or better yet, just get a 550D. Its just so much more economical and has a lot more features than any other case out there and is ranked pretty highly out there too. I'm planning on getting 1 myself pretty soon once theres a good enough price with coupons or whatever with it for me to make the purchase. :cool:
  16. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Another vote for the 550 as he wanted a mid case. But it has no window to show the gutz. But it has the room for the top radiator
  17. Jack1n

Thanks Received:
    Its a real shame he dosent a full tower,the new phantom 820 is sn awsome case for WC(although it does have only a small side window).