1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

need cpu advice.

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by grahbani, Dec 8, 2008.

1. grahbani New Member

Thanks Received:
    hello guys, i would like to ask your input and advice on a a good processor for my upgrade. I have been an AMD 64 guy since 2004. First was the amd 3200, then to 939 x2 4400, and now am2 6000. I am gonna build a new one and i am hearing that the amd are being beaten by the intel quad core and the new i7.
    Gonna keep the same system and change MOBO and processor, any ideas on the best processor between i7's, phenom, and intel core 2 quad. I've been comparing FSB and Hyper transport and L2 and L3 cache, but as usual i dont think the 3600 HT means its faster than the 1333 of intel, because they are using different technologies and specs correct? Anyway let me know what u think on the best processor up to $350. And what processor will allow me to keep mu 8 gigs of corsair dhx? pc2 6400 RAM

2. spearman914

spearman914 New Member

Thanks Received:
    You'll have to change the ram too for DDR3. :( And what will you be doing gaming? then wait for the phenom II dual cores (not sure if it's the phenom brand) to come out, or multitasking then wait for the Phenom II quad cores, comes out in Jan 6 2009

grahbani says thanks.
  3. grahbani New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah... on the intel's i saw the 8 gigs would have to go... but on the phenom they would be compatible... But for Serious gaming only once in a while i dont think the phenom is worth it. The MBs for the i7 are 300, WTF is up with that?? I am building a new rig for work to and i was gonna use my MOBO and Processor and get new one for me , but i think the only choice would be the phenom 9950 and i dont think thats much of an upgrade unless someone thinks otherwise. Also its AM2 so i can just update Bios to accept chip and update to higher HT speed, correct?

4. kysg New Member

Thanks Received:
  5. OzzmanFloyd120

OzzmanFloyd120

Thanks Received:
    If you wanted to stay AMD I would wait until the Phenom II chips release next month. They're supposed to overclock alot better and get more performance per Ghz than the old ones. It's rumored they will be within 10% of the performance of the i7 chips.

6. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    Not 100% true.

And if you are going to put a AM2+ proc in an AM2 board even with bios update the performance is slightly under than true AM2+ board. If you are OCing then you will know the real difference. If you don't care, yeah then update bios and drop in the compatible Quad and u are set.

Like others said if you want to stay with AMD wait for Phenom II's real reviews before deciding which one.

7. grahbani New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah i saw on the gigabyte website, its compatible but putting n am2+ cpu in am2 board will downgrade ht3 to ht1 from 5200 mhz to 2000mhz.... so no go at this time. thanx for info guys i think i willtake u r advice and wait for new CPU's next month.