1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need For Speed Undercover

Discussion in 'Games' started by jbunch07, Sep 12, 2008.

1. kysg New Member

Thanks Received:
    Doubt it, it seems like they didn't have the time for that. Man I forgot how much I missed having weather affects in a racing game, adds that extra bit of variety that is actually needed.

2. nta3392 New Member

Thanks Received:
    so... does the HD patch fix the stutters, i have an HD4850 and i get stutters

3. Meizuman

Meizuman

Thanks Received:
    It did improve performance on my system. I found it a bit weird, since the textures look much more crisp with the HD patch. At least it "felt" better with the HD-patch

There is one simple reason why this game stutters so much, even with high end GFX... especially on AMD systems. This game is purely SINGLE threaded. It is maxing out one core to 100% right from where you launch the game.

Here is an interesting review (about performance)

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,...dercover_GPU_and_CPU_benchmark_review/?page=1

As EA stated some time ago, that they will release a patch for Undercover... Now some "inside info" is telling this site that the patch is nearly finished. This gets SOME hopes up. Hopefully this isn't total BS

http://kotaku.com/5134825/need-for-speed-undercover-patch-coming-soon

4. mtosev

mtosev New Member

Thanks Received:
    does this game install StarForce crap on your pc? as the game is protected by starforce copy protection.

5. nta3392 New Member

Thanks Received:
    thhat damn patch better be soon; i hate this stuttters

6. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    @Mez
    God I hope that patch comes really soon!

@mtosev
    Yeah unfortunately.

7. Meizuman

Meizuman

Thanks Received:
  8. Meizuman

Meizuman

Thanks Received:
  9. jbunch07

jbunch07 New Member

Thanks Received:
  10. Meizuman

Meizuman

Thanks Received:
    I was really suprised that is is just 9,5MB.... I was expecting something like 300MB :laugh:

11. jbunch07

jbunch07 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah me too, I didn't even see it download...lol oh well. hopefully that 9.5Mb of code did something good.

12. Meizuman

Meizuman

Thanks Received:
    The Patch is utter crap! Hence it gives some additional fun to the police chases and minor fixes (sun and shadows doen't move) it gives more problems than solutions!

-Black spots (artifacts) start popping on the screen, GFX is not the issue, same happens with default GPU/MEM clocks
    -Annoying 1-5 sec (or more) pauses in game. Sound keeps playing but not the game.
    -Performance has dropped like rock! Now I can't play hiccup-free with default clocks, must OC to >3GHz in order to get decent (not good) frame rate
    -Now uses two cores at full load (other core at 90-99%). More stress on system with no performance boost.
    -Car shadows dissappeared
    -Maxes out CPU but not GPU

I uninstalled the whole shit few days ago and not going to play it in a long time.

TOTAL FAIL

13. RadeonX2

RadeonX2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    w0w the patch really did fix all of my graphics and stutter issues. Smooth gameplay 40-50FPS with all max out AA 6X 1680x1050 the graphics specially shadows are stunning no more rough shadows btw. I might give NFS Undercover a 2nd finish since I finish it once without the patch last year.

14. Wozzer

Thanks Received:
    Oh - I'm so glad I didnt buy it today. Went past my local store PC world, thought I'd give NFS a shout - But it doesn't seem worth it after what you guys have just said.

15. RadeonX2

RadeonX2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well I guess I'm just lucky NFS Undercover is playing silky smooth on me :toast:

but still the driving sucks

16. js01 New Member

Thanks Received:
    This game used to run horrible when i had my old phenom, it plays very smooth now though round 60-80fps I didn't think changing my cpu would benefit that much but it did, but ya still horrible game.

17. RadeonX2

RadeonX2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    that's a good FPS you getting there :toast: ya I agree the gameplay still sucks specially the driving

18. Meizuman

Meizuman

Thanks Received:
    More bashing from me. But for a reason.

"The Patch" also did some other things:

-Someone reported that in the car delivery missions the car will not get ANY damage. The mission is kinda pointless then...? :cool:

-Other problem I saw and didn't remember it until now. In various police chases if you get the evade meter up.. guess what? The meter just sticks to max! You will not get the the "cool down" bar that comes up when you have almost escaped them. That happened MANY times to me as I was driving some of those police challenges. I destroyed the needed amount of PC's, then escaped and well... Couldnt escape because the evade meter just kept on showing on the screen. Eventually you'll run out of time. :D

-Oh and one bug more to the list. AFTER "patching". Now the police chase may suddenly, in a second or less... just end. You evade them even If you're chased by the chopper on a clear highway!! How cool is that? :nutkick:

-Reports of much worse image quality have also be seen. And I confirm it. :toast:

Can't really believe I'm so devoted to this shit. Its like a never ending story of shitness!

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

19. jbunch07

jbunch07 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like that patch is FAIL, I haven't even tried it yet, much less played UC in a while now...I'm beginning to think this game might just be fail.

20. Blín D'ñero

Blín D'ñero

Thanks Received:
    BS! ALL those things do not happen here. So it must be your system mate, sorry...

So now that you uninstalled the game you start repeating some anonymous claims from the internet you can't check anymore?
    1. BS, the car GETS damage just like it did before.

2. that's some random glitch from before the patch as well; sometimes it happens, many times not.

3. Police chase does not end suddenly

4. Worse IQ after patch? Nope.

This game, despite its countless glitches (none came with the patch which is just good but they were already there), is big fun and addictive. I consider a good game how much i want to keep replaying everytime i finished it, then this is great imo. Worth every cent it cost! :rockout:

[EDIT: oh btw, the patch is a must for smooth performance. /edit]

21. Cheeseball

Thanks Received:
    I am not getting any of the symptoms that you're describing at all after the patch. :p I'm on a X2 5000BE running at 3.0GHz with a 9800GT at 650/950/1625 (stock Palit) with 2GB of old Corsair XMS2 on Windows XP (32-bit) SP3. Yes, I can confirm that the game now uses both cores (checked in Task Manager) and that it's not stressing out the GPU, but no "black spots", no disappearing shadows, and no drops in frame rate or slowdowns (the patch actually fixed this for me).

I just did the first and second (in the order that they appear) steal and deliver missions that are strict on damage and I failed them both for smashing them up. :p I can escape the cops just fine. Condition 3 in fact. They don't chase unless I "provoke" them, and if they are chasing me, they don't just give up just like that. No loss of image quality here, still the same after the patch, again 9800GT using ForceWare 182.06.

You may be using old saved games, or there might be something screwing with your system. Mind you, I cleared out my old saved games and started a new campaign.

22. RevengE

RevengE

Thanks Received:
    Prostreet Really ruined my Respect for the NFS series,It had a bug in the PS3 version and EA never fixed it so I was screwed out of playing that game. I will never buy another NFS again.

23. Meizuman

Meizuman

Thanks Received:
    IRMC