1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

need hard drive transfer tool/program

Discussion in 'Storage' started by KieranD, Mar 25, 2009.

1. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    anyone know any programs that can transfer your data to another drive, im assuming they work on cd or floppy or usb

i have a new motherboard coming to accompany this x3 720BE so i need to reinstall my OS, what i want to do is move all of this hard drive to another one so i can format this one and so a clean install

i will then pick and choose files from the other hard drive, like saves and music and then i can see what programs i had and reinstall them too

its roughly 250gb of data i have

so i want to move all this data to another drive and im assuming you cant just simply copy and paste everything while using the OS and drive

2. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    If your doing raid you need to get the data of them before changing motherboards.

If not and your reinstalling the OS there's only one real way to find out if a program can be copied to another drive and still work and thats by trying it. I do it all the time some don't mind some hate it.

Also you might want to check in My Documents for stuff you want to keep and program settings of the programs you want to copy to a different location.

Like these locations

C:\Documents and Settings\Account Name\Application Data

C:\Documents and Settings\Account Name\My Documents

C:\Documents and Settings\Account Name\Local Settings\Application Data

You will need to turn of hidden system\files off too.

Opps just noticed your using Vista so there be under C:\Users

KieranD says thanks.
  3. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    google for ztreewin is a nice file manager that can copy all files in all directories on a volume and gives you a retry/ignore/resume prompt on error so you dont have to start from scratch.

has a bit of a learning curve though.

dont forget to export your registry via regedit so you can access your "old" registry in case you need a license key or something

KieranD says thanks.
  4. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    yeah i just want to copy the WHOLE drive to another one and then format this one and start again, i dont want to copy programs ect back ill just reinstall everything time consuming but at least it will guarantee to work

i can copy over files i need when i reinstall my os again

might need registry tho for license keys ect