1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need Hardware help to improve my machine

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by mof42, Jun 12, 2009.

1. mof42 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am a newbie and trying to find what I can do to boost the performance on this little HP I got a while back. I have done nothing to modify the BIOS yet and would entertain any suggestions from the group.

I am a hardware engineer and I am running multiple OS's in Virtualbox VM's. I do PCB Signal integrity analysis using Cadence Allegro 16.2 , 3d modeling using solidworks and thermal modeling using IcePak and Flowtherm each running in their own VM.

I am open to any suggestions other than using MicroCrap Vista.

Thanks

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  2. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    A Quad core of some kind maybe? like a Q9550 or higher?

And maybe update the Quadro with a newer version? or go with a ATI equivalent?

Otherwise the rest of your system seems to be pretty good to me.

Edit: Ooops sorry also....Welcome to Techpowerup Forums :)

3. mof42 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks

This is a 2 quad core zeon processor system. I tried a couple of ATI Radon video cards but for the live of me I could not get them to work in Ubuntu 9.04. I have seen that ATI has sent 3 catylist updates since but I spent so much time with the xorg.conf file that I do not want to do that again. Do you know nvidia has SLI cards that can be linked that are Jaunty compatable?

4. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    O ok sorry i wasn't sure if it was a Quad or a Dual core, well you can only go to about 3.2GHz i think with a Xeon Quad? Otherwise you would have to go with the new i7 Quad core CPU's but that will need a new Motherboard and DDR3 RAM.

I agree ATI and Linux/Ubuntu doesn't seem to work very well as my Brother also runs Ubuntu and sticks with Nvidia, works well. So i would look up for a new Quadro would be ya best bet?
    Not sure on the SLi thing, but there be a good chance id say.

Sorry i cant help ya much more.

mof42 says thanks.
  5. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    mof42 says thanks.
  6. theorw

theorw New Member

Thanks Received:
    Actually every card that xan be flashed in its workstation version if u find the correct bios for it.
    This FIRE GL is identical to a 3870 in shape and specs so buying a 3870 and flashing it with fire gl 7700 bios should make it workstation ready!!:toast:

mof42 says thanks.