1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need help Building my sister a graphic design PC

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by EiSFX, Aug 13, 2010.

1. EiSFX

Thanks Received:
    Hello techy's my Sister just finished her graphic design course in school and she wants me to build her a comp and i don't really know anything about building that kind of PC i'm wondering if you guys can help me out i live in canada i need advice on what kind of parts i need for a graphic design PC i'm totaly in the dark when it comes to this kind of PC

2. ERazer

ERazer

Thanks Received:
    budget?

3. blkhogan

blkhogan New Member

Thanks Received:
    +1. Also what kinda programs will be ran? Are they CPU or GFX killers?

4. CJCerny

CJCerny

Thanks Received:
    You probably don't need anything too fancy/expensive for graphics design. The most important part would be to have a nice big color calibrated monitor and color calibrated printer. Find out from her exactly which apps she plans to use and then look up their minimum and recommend requirements and meet them.

5. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    Then you probably shouldn't build her one. Take the time to learn prior to just slapping one together for her.

A graphic design computer will need a fast processor, multiple cores will help ONLY for multithreaded rendering software. A quality power supply is necessary as it will need to be stable to all the components, and likely in the 600W range. A CUDA enabled gpu like the GTX 260 will help with rendering and giving graphical manipulation.

And as ERazer said, your budget will need to be over $1000 for a quality setup.

6. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    I am not so sure about the GPU. It can help with Cuda enabled software, but if she is not using any of those, then it helps not. One thing you will need is 8 GB of RAM and up. Graphics programs with large images with several dozen layers eats RAM for breakfast and she will need a lot of it.

7. EiSFX

Thanks Received:
    well theres in no real budget but still something feseable and for now she will be useing paintshop pro and photoshop but will most likely be useing Adobe Illustrator CS5 too She uses alot of layers on the stuff she works on and also she does plan on trying 3D models too

8. mdsx1950

mdsx1950 New Member

Thanks Received:
    If there is no budget just build her the PC in my system specs. :D

On a serious note- You have to have a budget. Then we can build the best graphic designing PC money can buy within the budget. :cool: