• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

need HELP - Cant UNDERSTAND what's the PROBLEM

Over_Lord

News Editor
System Name BAH! - - tHE ECo FReAK
Processor Athlon II X4 620 @ 1.15V
Motherboard ASUS 785G EVO
Cooling Stock
Memory Corsair Titanium 4GB DDR3 1600MHz C9
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD5850 @ 1.049v
Storage Seagate 7200.12 500GB
Display(s) BenQ G2220HD
Case Cooler Master Elite 334
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair VX550W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Here goes. Today I try to start my computer (see specs)

Well, the motherboard doesnt boot (beep sound) and I thought what the hell and left it alone. Tried to start agin after an hour, well it started this time, but as soon as it reached the Windows logo(win 7), it just restarted. and this time agin no beep sound, just a blank (black) screen and the cpu fan humming away at full speed

I thought windows was corrupt, so I took out uBuntu 10.10 live dvd and well, I'm typing this from there. So HDD is fine. BTW, i randomly removed one of my memory (RAM) and this is the result, I'll try with both again with uBuntu. Then it will be a confirmed WINDOWS problem

Now the concern is, while uBuntu was starting up, for a few seconds the entire screen went haywire with lines of colour. I thought GFX was KAPUT, but uBuntu is running fine after that, although I havn't installled any Linux drivers yet.

Now the thing is the same weird emulsion of colours appeared all around the WINDOWS logo while starting up, and then it restarted.

So guys, is it a GRAPHICS CARD problem??? I just cant figure out. I'm gonna test my other RAM now. Everything else is fine, backing up my data as I type.

Has anyone faced a similar problem? If it's gfx then good its under warranty I'll send it for RMA right away.

System Name If you name your systems, get a boy/girlfriend...
Processor i7 4770k
Motherboard Asus Maximus VI Formula
Cooling Custom waterloop around Black Ice GTX 360
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 FE
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
Case HAF 932
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Windows 10 x64
Hi,

The fact that your PC failed to start the very first time is worrying, and suggests hardware problem.

Screen gibberish with Ubuntu can be normal (way the GPU driver kicks in).
However, the screen gibberish during Windows load is unheard of, and suggests GPU problem (or windows corruption)

I'd suggest running a thorough memtest86+ from bootable CD/USB first.
Possible problems:
- power supply
- memory
- graphics card
- windows corrupted

richjordan255

System Name My Updated Gaming Rig
Processor Intel Q6600 @ 3.15 GHz :-)
Motherboard MSI P6N SLI Platinum
Cooling Zalman 9700
Memory 8GB G.Skill DDR2 @ 5-4-4-14 (933mhz) OC :-)
Video Card(s) 2 BFG 8800 GTS 512 in SLi
Storage 2 500GB Hitatchi Sata 2 in RAID0 Hitatchi 1TB Sata2 for DATA
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster 2232BW 22" LCD
Case Coolermaster Cosmos
Audio Device(s) Creative Audigy 2ZS
Power Supply Akasa 850W Gaming PSU
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores Don't believe in benchies I prefer actually using the PC
The colours that you mention when loadin windows would normally point to a graphics or memory issue.

If your motherboard has onboard GFX try running off that and if the colours still appear try sawpping the RAm, or if you do not have any spare download and run MEMtest, had a very similar issue at work not so long back

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Definitely a graphics issue - try upping the voltage of your 5850 a little as I see that you have it lower then normal (or constantly in powersaving mode??)

if that doesnt help, it could be that the RAM on your graphics card has been corrupted - dont ask me how it happends, it just does and when it does theres nothing you can do but send it back for RMA - thats how my 9700Pro died.... It was running 9800 clocks :D