1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need help choosing a new OS drive or drives

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Techtu, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    Going to keep this short (not that I can do much else due to wrist injury) but just as the title say's I'm wanting a new drive for my OS drive, I've been thinking about a Seagate Momentus XT or possibly going for a RAID setup, but which do I go for and if I go for RAID which drives will be best suited?

2. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    RAID. The XT will eventually just shorten your boot times. A RAID will actually improve performance of your system.

Which HDD's you use don't really matter, but it is a good idea to get duplicates so you can be sure they have the exact same single drive performance. I recommend Sammy F3 1TB drives or WD Blacks.

Techtu says thanks.
  3. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    I was looking for some WD Blacks but unable to find any for some odd reason :s

I've been eyeing up some 320Gb 32mb cache WD's (Blue) £60 for two.

I don't see any point in me going for the extra space as I barely use 180Gb on my OS drive, so surely what will be 64mb cache on a 640Gb hard drive is more than enough? :)

4. Krony

Krony New Member

Thanks Received:
    240 Gb Vertex2E :p

5. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    WDC Black's are apparently unsuitable for RAID due to the TLER limit being set at 7ms; RAID spec. requires an 8ms TLER. This is apparently their way of forcing you to buy RAID Edition drives for the purpose of RAID-ing and charging you a nice premium for it. I was a WD man, I didn't think I'd ever move from WD, but now Samsung is offering the better deal IMO...

Sammy F3 all the way. Just pulled the trigger on 3 1TB's myself (HD103SJ's) for £40 each. Half the price (almost) of a WDCBlk, just 2 years less warranty. I'd say get a little 250GB Sammy F3 or something.

6. sttubs

sttubs

Thanks Received:

That is correct regarding the WD's. You need to look for the RE3 drives, such as:
    Computer Hardware,Hard Drives,Internal Hard Drives...

7. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    Sure, if my controller was a higher-end Adaptec or LSI. Otherwise WD has claimed for years that Blacks are suitable for consumer-level RAID (ICH, etc) applications. After several dozen drives in the last 4 years, I haven't been given a reason to question it. Has anyone here actually experience a problem? (Barring situations which are not guaranteed by WD)

Techtu and TheLaughingMan say thanks.