1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need help choosing!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by satindemon4u, Jul 30, 2013.

1. satindemon4u

Thanks Received:
    First off, I hope this is the right area. If not please let me know where it goes and I will move it promptly ;)

ANYWAY! Alright all I am looking to buy a laptop. One that will play games on high settings with no lag (mostly up to something like COD, Skyrim occasionally but that I can bare to play on low if need be). I currently have one that I am looking at and yes, it is a refurb but it is ASUS and I love them, and trust them. So to me, it's a pretty sweet deal. I am just wanting to make sure I am not missing a better deal somewhere. Was going to go with Lenovo until I found out that they recently removed all options to finance and now only accept debit or credit cards -.-

Here is the laptop that I currently have picked out...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231002

Price cap is around $850 at the most. If a boat load of tax is added then a little lower than that if possible. Looking for an i7 if possible, i5 would be acceptable. MUST have a dedicated graphics card, of course.

Anyway, hope that sums it up. Thanks guys!

2. jgunning

jgunning

Thanks Received:

That's a pretty powerful rig. I would dare to say you aren't going to get a lot better value for money than that find

J :toast:

3. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    A gaming laptop is the worst investment. Just my opinion. Also ive seen a lot of ASUS laptop going for warrenty work lately. Which is sad cuz I love them also. They did away with the two year warrenty

jgunning says thanks.
  4. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    God, 5400RPM HDD, never again will I touch one of those. Aside from that, its a good midrange gaming laptop.

5. BiggieShady

BiggieShady

Thanks Received:
    I share this opinion. Gaming laptops are often noisy and run games at higher temperatures. Those high pitch laptop fans can drive a man crazy.

6. satindemon4u

Thanks Received:

Well thank you all! Alright then what if I want a laptop that I can at least customize to play the games I listed and stay under 850. Ideas?

7. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    First answer us this.

Do you intend to stay in hotels regularly to play games?
    Do you regularly find yourself on a train or plane at least 5 times a week and play games?

If no to both then - Why does it have to be a laptop?

8. satindemon4u

Thanks Received:
    Good question. Because I already have a desktop that plays what I want and it does it very well. I am looking to be a bit more mobile though. Trying to a haul a rig and monitor to a friends for a LAN party isn't exactly the greatest. But no trains or anything of the sort haha

9. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Just how often are you on LAN's though? If that is the sole reason I'd look into building a small gaming system.

10. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    +1

Bitfenix Prodigy + FM2 or Z77 MiniITX system.

11. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If you have a car build a ITX system. Its a lot better than a laptop, unless space is a premium too (in which case you are more or less cornered to get a laptop).

12. satindemon4u

Thanks Received:
    Looking for a laptop so I can go places. Anywhere really. Around my own house, you other houses etc. Like I said I already have a gaming desktop but am looking for more portability.