1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

need help ! complicated problem :(

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by Iblees, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Iblees New Member

Thanks Received:
    hello everyone !!! im newbie here ...
    i will write summary about my problem hoping to find any help from expert people !
    i have Hasse laptop ( chinese product ) with Nvidia Geforce 8400M ...
    6 months ago , my monitor suddenly stopped working( became dead ) and i dont know why , so i figure out that i can use an external monitor ... so , i disassembled laptop monitor and just kept the laptop semi naked ( only the bottom part without the monitor ) ... and it worked perfect !
    after while , due to some heating issues ... my Nvidia chips decided the day of it death !
    and whenever i start the laptop , it shows weird color ( like vertical green lines "ofcourse using the external monitor ) !
    see the photo : http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/3318/img00223201301300200.jpg
    so , i took it to some repair shops , they fixed it . but it works by external monitor .
    and they told me that my Nvidia chips has heat issues and maybe the problem will return !
    after 1 month , the same problem appeared ( vertical green lines with 4-bit colors ) .
    Same as if you have windows 98 without VGA driver ! ( it shows shit colors ) !
    i tried to fix the Nvidia chip by heating gun and seriously it works again ( just did that 1 week ago ) . but today , it returned as before !!!!
    i dont know much about BIOS , but when i started the laptop ... it says :
    system configuration data updated error .
    0271: check date and time settings .
    0251: system CMOS checksum bad - default configuration used .
    i know this problem because the battery , and i fix it . but it gives me new thoughts about BIOS !
    so , my question is :
    does BIOS affect my Nvidia card and i have to flush it ?
    because as i read in many posts , some people said that BIOS maybe damaged and i need to flush it again !
    i really appreciate any help or any idea from you guys !
    have a nice day folks ... and Thanks in advance :) ...
    P.S: sorry im not native english , if you couldnt understand any part , tell me and i will explain it ! .

2. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    Those gpu's are bad- they heat up and desolder from the board. Any fix that is attempted is temporary at best. I have a dead Dell laptop here with the same problem.

If you can manage to keep the gpu cool the repair will last longer but your best choice is to look for another laptop.

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. ALMOSTunseen

ALMOSTunseen

Thanks Received:
    You're best try for a semi-permanent repair is to try the Oven mod. It's a bit more riskier then using a Heat gun, but it gives more stable results.

4. Iblees New Member

Thanks Received:
    @Norton trust me , its not heating issue .... because the vertical lines appear exactly when i start my laptop .. in another word ( the GPU didnt get heat yet ) !
    @ALMOSTunseen ... to be honest , i didnt try the heat guy ... but i meant Oven mod because i thought no one knows about oven trick :D ... and after i tried it , my laptop started to work again !!! but im still wondering if the BIOS is damaged or no !!! thats what i really wanna know about !
    thanks both of you <3

5. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    vertical lines means card is dying. It could be baked but that may only fix it for a short while.

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. Iblees New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah i agree with you , but i still waiting anyone to tell me if the bios can be the problem or not !

7. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    IIRC the 8400M did not have a bios that was flashable since it was built into the motherboard. I could be wrong though.

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. Iblees New Member

Thanks Received:
    but as i read in some sites ... i can flush Nvidia if there is any problem ... i can give you link if you want :) ...
    does anyone tried to Solder the chip , it may help ? because i think the chip became loose ?
    any idea ?

9. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    Have you looked into replacing the laptop? It may be cheaper and less of a headache in the long run

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    The mobile geforce 8xxx series were bad news bears. Pretty sure there was a class action lawsuit against Nvidia and they lost. Here in the US they had to be repaired for free.

Seeing as how that ship has come and gone and you tore your laptop apart. I agree that your best bed is to bake the sucker in the oven. Worked for me on a RROD Xbox 360 once.

11. Iblees New Member

Thanks Received:
    i already bought new one ... but i wanna fix this one and let my younger brother use it ...
    why wasting it if i can fix it :) ... plus , i wont take it to any repair shop ...
    many repair shops told me that i can replace the NVIDIA chip ... but it will be expensive !!
    so , im thinking to find a way to fix it with my own

12. Iblees New Member

Thanks Received:
    as i said , i tried baking and oven ..... but the problem returned next day ...
    the weather here so cold ... and seriously i feel that chip got freeze :D ...
    when you tried oven mod ,how many days did it last without any problems ?

13. brandonwh64

Thanks Received:
    If baking it did not work then I am afraid that its toast.

Crunching for Team TPU
  14. Iblees New Member

Thanks Received:
    oh i remembered something ... there are some thermal at the mother board near to Nvidia Chip !
    maybe i should clean it because these spots affecting the GPU ?

15. EiSFX

Thanks Received:
    Yep Dieing Video card/Video Chipset. That exact samething happened to one of my old video cards in my computer a HD 3870 to be exact but it did the exact same thing your having a problem with. since your is in a laptop i'm sorry to say it but its toast since you have already done the oven trick. You can do the oven trick again but it will do the samething after a bit.