• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need help diagnosing GPU problems

haifisch

Hi,

I got a Palit GTX 660 here with some problems. I know it's faulty, because when I put into my system yesterday, it caused BSOD when installing drivers and at windows startup(Wich was because of the aero theme I guess).

So I put together another system from parts I have lying around to test the card and not have to bother with my setup. I made a fresh windows install, then I could successfully install the latest nvidia drivers, but if I use windows aero, google chrome, start any game(even minesweeper!!!), or Furmark, the screen goes black in a few seconds and then restarts. The only "benchmark" I could run so far is the render test in gpu-z. I can play the sample video "Wildlife" in windows 7, no problems. More interestingly, I can run Folding@Home with no problems. It's a very GPU intensive task, so I dont understand why I cannot run Furmark, what's the difference between them?

Of course, I have the pcie power connector plugged in, and I also checked at gpu-z for temps, wich are good. Power supply is a Delta 750W.
I also made logs from these events described above with gpu-z, I attached them to this post.

Now I know I could just use another card, but I really want to fix it. My question is: Where to further test the card? Underclocking? gpu bios flash? looking for visible damage? If any of them, what programs to use? What part of my card is failing?

Thanks for any help in advance! Also let me know if any important information is missing

UPDATE:
I tried the card in my main system(with a test hdd for another os install, so I don't mess up with mine) There it doesn't restart, but screen goes black for few seconds and I get a notification on the taskbar "display driver stopped responding and has recovered". I made a video about what happens if I run the windows experiece rating, its pretty interesting, it crashes a lot of times during the test, and at the end the gtx 660 gets a score of 2,0...
Here is the video:

UPDATE #2:
I forgot to upload what error Furmark gave
Furmark error opengl.png

Attachments

• GPU-Z Sensor Log Aero.txt
    83.3 KB · Views: 462
  • GPU-Z Sensor Log Folding at home.txt
    133.2 KB · Views: 467
  • GPU-Z Sensor Log Furmark.txt
    27.3 KB · Views: 435
  • GPU-Z Sensor Log OCCT.txt
    143.5 KB · Views: 435
  • GPU-Z Sensor Log Highlights.txt
    22.7 KB · Views: 522
  • GPU-Z Sensor Log GPU-Z Render test.txt
    48.8 KB · Views: 452
  • GPU-Z Sensor Log Video playback.txt
    55.2 KB · Views: 461
Last edited:
System Name home-pc
Processor i7-950
Motherboard TUF-x58
Cooling nh-d14
Memory 8GB ram
Video Card(s) rx-580(4)
Storage 1tv raid, 240 mlc ssd, 1tb for data
Display(s) 32" TV 1080p
Case -
Audio Device(s) audigy 2 zs platinum
Power Supply some chinese expiriment
Software 10
not sure, but may be sensors are wrong
try to downscale gpu/memory clocks, also try to increase fan speed(as i see from sensors - it never goes over 30%)

haifisch

not sure, but may be sensors are wrong
try to downscale gpu/memory clocks, also try to increase fan speed(as i see from sensors - it never goes over 30%)
Thanks for the tip, what program do you suggest to use to downscale the clocks?

System Name home-pc
Processor i7-950
Motherboard TUF-x58
Cooling nh-d14
Memory 8GB ram
Video Card(s) rx-580(4)
Display(s) 32" TV 1080p
Case -
Software 10
use msi afterburner(tried it with my video card - 540 to 1500 mhz), but dont forget to aply results
try to downscale gpu first(i'll advice you to change gpu clock to 928 mhz and if it's stable,step by step +5mhz and test, if it's still not stable -50mhz+test)
sor for long responce time)

System Name home-pc
Processor i7-950
Motherboard TUF-x58
Cooling nh-d14
Memory 8GB ram
Video Card(s) rx-580(4)
Display(s) 32" TV 1080p
Case -
Software 10
also searched for same problems:
"Have you tried updating Intel Graphics driver? Without the Intel Graphics drivers installed the integrated CPU graphics fails when switching adaptive power mode and sometimes randomly. Setting Adaptive power in NV control panel to Maximum Performance can also fix the problem if Adaptive power isn't working properly. Set BIOS option to PCIE 2.0 or 2nd Generation if your BIOS has it, as the Auto option or PCIE 3.0 can cause the graphics driver to not respond. May want to check the graphics card is seated comfortably into it's slot and all power connectors are secure."

haifisch

also searched for same problems:
"Have you tried updating Intel Graphics driver? Without the Intel Graphics drivers installed the integrated CPU graphics fails when switching adaptive power mode and sometimes randomly. Setting Adaptive power in NV control panel to Maximum Performance can also fix the problem if Adaptive power isn't working properly. Set BIOS option to PCIE 2.0 or 2nd Generation if your BIOS has it, as the Auto option or PCIE 3.0 can cause the graphics driver to not respond. May want to check the graphics card is seated comfortably into it's slot and all power connectors are secure."
Thank you for this
I don't have onboard video, my i5-650 has, but the mobo doesn't support IGP. I did clean windows on that drive, and installed newest nvidia drivers, also set maximum performance in nvidia control panel already. I might look into the PCIe options, but I think my board is too old for 3.0. Gonna try msi afterburner later this night and set the clocks you suggested :)

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Motherboard MSI MEG x570 Ace
Cooling Corsair H150i Elite
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB, Teamgroup MP34 4TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx + 2x AOC 2425W
Case Fractal Design Meshify Lite 2
Audio Device(s) Blue Yeti + SteelSeries Arctis 5 / Samsung HW-T550
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
Seems to be unstable at the current clock. Underclocking would help or uping the voltage might help.

haifisch

Updated with image, now I m trying to underclock/add some more voltage, but it's the first time I m using afterburner, how do I set an exact voltage/freq etc, I can only set +xx or -xx, I dont really get it :/

haifisch

I tried undervolting core, memory, and tried to add a bit more voltage while underclocked. I went all the way down to core clock -350 mhz(-50, then -100, -150,...) and memory clock -400 mhz. As for voltage, it's +75mv now(+25, +50, +75). So now I am at -350mhz on core, -400mhz on mem and +75mv on core voltage, and I still get the error with Furmark. And even minesweeper still crashes.
Should I go for reballing the chip? Is there a way to do a separate vram test, so I can know which component to reball, gpu or memory.
Do you think the VRM modules could be bad? I don't think so because I can run my full GPU power, it just depends on the application, Folding@Home works fine, no crash there.

System Name home-pc
Processor i7-950
Motherboard TUF-x58
Cooling nh-d14
Memory 8GB ram
Video Card(s) rx-580(4)
Display(s) 32" TV 1080p
Case -
Software 10
now i can say that it's very high potential that chip is broken(mb some layers)
my last advise is to check pciE lines on card and mobo(check it and try to clean)

after searching error code 7 - try to disable gpu physx

Last edited:

haifisch

now i can say that it's very high potential that chip is broken(mb some layers)
my last advise is to check pciE lines on card and mobo(check it and try to clean)

after searching error code 7 - try to disable gpu physx
Tried disabling physx, but same error with furmark. I do a clean windows installation once again, and try the things you suggested here one more time. After that, I might try flashing the vbios if you think it might helps. And then if that doesn't, I take the card to a technician who has a reballing station, and try a bga reball. I'll keep updating until gpu is alive or I gave up :D

System Name Windows 10
Processor Amd atholn X2 245 3.38 Ghz
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-M52L-S3P
Memory 3 x 2 GB ddr2
Video Card(s) HD radeon 6970
Storage 2 x WDC WD16 00AAJS-00B4A SCSI
Power Supply LC600H-12 v2.31
Can someone help me with gpu z log file i downscale clocks on gpu and i got vertical lines with one game assassin's creed unity.... Gpu is amd radeon hd 6970

Attachments

• gpu z.txt
    927.7 KB · Views: 461

haifisch

Can someone help me with gpu z log file i downscale clocks on gpu and i got vertical lines with one game assassin's creed unity.... Gpu is amd radeon hd 6970
Are you overclocking? What kind of 6870 do you have? I mean asus gigabyte msi...etc
Can you make a picture of the artifacting?

System Name Windows 10
Memory 3 x 2 GB ddr2
I didn't overcloked i downscaled memory and gpu clock's, from 1375 to 1200 Mhz and from 880 to 800... don't know what is i know is only amd hd radeon 6970 here is picture from gpu z...

Attachments

• 1.gif
    1.gif
    27.6 KB · Views: 505

haifisch

I didn't overcloked i downscaled memory and gpu clock's, from 1375 to 1200 Mhz and from 880 to 800... don't know what is i know is only amd hd radeon 6970 here is picture from gpu z...
Why are you downscaling? Try running furmark on stock clocks and see what temps and artifacting you get. Maybe your temps are a little high, idk. Upload the log file and the screen shot while running furmark if you like :)
If you find your card overheating, you can clean the heatsink of your card, or try changing thermal paste on the gpu if cleaning doesn't help.

System Name Windows 10
Memory 3 x 2 GB ddr2
I downscaled clocks because won't work in furmark with 1375 Mhz i got vertical blue lines, i downscaled to 1200 and work perfect for 1h no overheating. This problem i have it only happend with assassin's creed unity vddc on gpu z log file jump enormly... Every other game works fine without problems or vertical lines...

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Memory 6 gb Ballistix Tracer
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Audio Device(s) seperate amp and 6 big speakers
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
Keyboard under going restoration
this has become a different thread.

@igorm123 you might get more responses if you start a new thread specific to your issue:toast:

B Team

System Name Windows 10
Memory 3 x 2 GB ddr2
I statrted ne thread sorry for this post's :)