• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need help finding a decent headset on a budget

Skrowe

So my headset started failing on me, the right side starts and stops working whenever something touches the cable/on-cable volume control thing, not really a surprise that they're failing as they are about 7-8 years old and after some searching they're the logitech digital precision headset apparently.

Anyway i'm looking for a replacement and i think that pretty much any headset these days should be better but i'm not sure so i came here for some help. The sound quality was never really impressive with these, however the mic was pretty decent so i'd prefer if the mic on the new one'd be the same or better.

My budget would be around 40€ sadly, i know it's pretty hard to find a decent headset even with a higher budget but that's what i have if there's one that's quite a bit better than anything else in this budget but a bit higher i'd probably be willing to bump up my budget a bit.

I was thinking about getting a pair of headphones and a separate mic but i'm afraid that the mics would have pretty bad quality. I should also mention that i currently have an external sound card (Creative SB play) that i got less than a month ago, the thread's still pretty high up actually.

This ended up being quite a wall of text, sorry about that.

System Name Main/DC
Processor i7-3770K/i7-2600K
Motherboard MSI Z77A-GD55/GA-P67A-UD4-B3
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14CS/H80
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) LP /4GB Kingston DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 660 Ti/MSI HD7770
Storage Crucial MX100 256GB/120GB Samsung 830 & Seagate 2TB(died)
Display(s) Asus 24' LED/Samsung SyncMaster B1940
Case P100/Antec P280 It's huge!
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply SeaSonic SS-660XP2/Seasonic SS-760XP2
Software Win 7 Home Premiun 64 Bit

Skrowe

I've been looking at a Plantronics gamecom 780, it's over my budget but the mic sounds decent from what i've heard and it's a usb set so it would bypass my external sound card, any thoughts or experience with these?

EDIT: looking trough that thread and doing some digging around on my own i'm more or less completely convinced that headphones+a clip on mic will do better, the only clip on i really have access to is a speedlink sl-8691-sbk really cheap though so if it ends up being terrible atleast i won't lose much, however now i still need a pair of headphones around 40€ and looking around i'm having trouble finding most of the recommended low priced ones so it'll probably save time if i just write down the ones i can get and that are in my price range.

These aren't all of them, just the ones i thought might be decent.

-Philips SHP2500
-Sony MDR-v150
-Pioneer SE-M521 / SE-M531
-Philips SHP3000/00
-Philips SHL3210BK/00
-Sony MDR-XB600
-Philips SHP6000
-Philips SHL3300BK/10

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard AsRock X670E Phantom Gaming Lightning
Cooling Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB (2 x 16GB)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX
Storage Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Crucial P3 NVMe M.2 2TB
Display(s) LG OLED55G2PUA
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG Certified
Audio Device(s) Digital out to high end dac and amps.
Power Supply EVGA GQ 1000W
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Logitech G413 Carbon
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Rift S, Quest 2, Quest 3
Software Windows 10 Pro
You are listing headphones. I thought you wanted a headset? A headset has a built in mic.

Skrowe

Yes i realize that, i do want a headset but most people say that headphones+mic are usually a better sounding option so i listed a few that would work in my price range, though i have no idea if any of those headphones actually has better sound quality than the gamecom 780 as i have no experience with either, if the sound quality between them is roughly the same i'll most likely go for the gamecom headset mostly because of the mic, but like i said no idea how the sound quality compares, so that's what i'd like to know quite a bit, if the headphones have higher quality that i'll actually notice then i'm willing to sacrifice the better mic for a clip on.
So any idea how they compare?