• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need help finding the bios for my 7970

intertubenerd

I did something really dumb and tried to flash my XFX R7970 DD into a Ghz edition (as you can probably tell, I'm pretty new to graphics cards in general, since flashing into a Ghz edition is for reference boards only), and what's worse, I didn't save my old bios first. Now I found the collection of bios here at techpowerup, and tried to flash back to the correct bios for my FX-797A-TDFC...it's not the black edition or anything, just the regular, voltage-locked edition I accidently went and bought thinking it was something else....but after flashing to the correct bios it still won't play any games at all, it either gives me a BSOD immediately in the case of Battlefield 3, or freezes with a black screen in the case of Shogun 2, or gives me a white screen and freezes in the case of World of Tanks. Anyway, on the box it says it's version 3.2, I was wondering if maybe there are multiple bios for this same model and I just got the wrong one. There's only one for this exact card in the the techpowerup collection, I was hoping that someone might have the one for version 3.2 or at least knows for certain if that one is the one and only correct bios for this card so I can RMA it without it going in with the wrong bios...please help.

System Name Everchanging
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair Dark Hero
Cooling Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer 2 420mm
Memory 2x16GB Corsair DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) eVGA RTX 3090 Ti FTW3
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 256GB, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) 2xSamsung 28" 4k HDR 144Hz
Case Fractal Meshify 2 XL
Audio Device(s) fiio K9 to Hifiman Sundara's via 4.4mm balanced cable
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX 850w
Mouse Corsair Harpoon Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB PRO
Software Windows 11 x64
Open GPU-Z and put the part from the BIOS version that is in parenthesis. There are 2 BIOS' I think will work for your card, want to see which you have on there now, and try the other.

intertubenerd

113-797ATDFV10

Thanks for getting back to me so fast. I've already tried the dual-fan bios as well if that's what you're refering to, using a USB disk and atiflash, I just found a version of atiwinflash that works on a german site and I'm gonna try using it to flash first one and then the other a little later if I need to, I don't really trust the computer that I used to make the usb since it's riddled with viruses.

System Name Custom FX
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 1600X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard MSI B350 Tomahawk
Cooling EK A240 Kit
Memory G.SKILL G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series DDR4 3200 8GB
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 FTW3 Ultra
Storage SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 250GB NVMe OS Drive/Seagate Hybrid SSHD ST1000LM014 1TB MLC/8GB 64MB Cache
Display(s) ASUS VE228H 21.5 inch
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Silverstone Strider 750 Plus 750W Modular
Mouse Red Dragon M715 Dagger
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
Software Windows 10 Pro

intertubenerd

Yeah, that's the one I was just using, and I couldn't run any games with it. That doesn't mean it isn't the right one, but I can run those games with my old graphics cards just like I could before so that rules out any problem with my motherboard or my programs. It might be the right bios, and my 7970 is now damaged, I was just wondering if anyone knew of any different bios for versions 1, 2, 3 etc. so I could try them.

System Name Custom FX
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 1600X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard MSI B350 Tomahawk
Cooling EK A240 Kit
Memory G.SKILL G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series DDR4 3200 8GB
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 FTW3 Ultra
Storage SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 250GB NVMe OS Drive/Seagate Hybrid SSHD ST1000LM014 1TB MLC/8GB 64MB Cache
Display(s) ASUS VE228H 21.5 inch
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Silverstone Strider 750 Plus 750W Modular
Mouse Red Dragon M715 Dagger
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
Software Windows 10 Pro
Maybe try reflashing it again with a fresh download of the BIOS could of been a bad flash

System Name PC-Chips
Processor Ryzen 5 5600x
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming.
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Air Cooler 6 heat pipes.
Memory Patriot Viper 32gig dual channel 3600mhz
Video Card(s) PowerColor HellHound RX 7900 GRE OC
Storage 2X Samsung 860 EVO SSD's 500gig / 2TB crucial P3-NVME / WD-BLUE SN550 1TB M.2 / SP A55 512gig
Display(s) Panasonic 40-inch 4k TV
Case Modded NZXT H510
Audio Device(s) Realtek S1220A - Yamaha A-S501 AMP - 4 x Wharfedale diamond 9.1 speakers - Wharfedale SW150 sub
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G6 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse Some cheap wireless thing
Keyboard Razer Cynosa lite
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2 128gig version
Software Windows 11 pro 64bit
Yeah, that's the one I was just using, and I couldn't run any games with it. That doesn't mean it isn't the right one, but I can run those games with my old graphics cards just like I could before so that rules out any problem with my motherboard or my programs. It might be the right bios, and my 7970 is now damaged, I was just wondering if anyone knew of any different bios for versions 1, 2, 3 etc. so I could try them.

Did you remove old drivers to? I always read you should remove drivers when doing a bios flash then reinstall then after the flash is done.

intertubenerd

EiSFX, I've done that a couple times now since you posted, but...

animal007uk, no I didn't, at least not until AFTER I flashed the bios, I guess I'll try that this time and see if it helps.

intertubenerd

Well crap, I don't know if this means anything but I ran dxdiag and it says that my AMD Radeon 7900 Series card has approximately 734 MB of memory, I don't know what that means or how it could have happened unless some of the memory on it went bad.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
im not sure but isnt there a bios switch on the card?

ALso Id be prepared for an RMA and a hard lesson learned indeed. Also sometimes windows gets so messed up with memory reporting it isnt funny

intertubenerd

Nope, no bios switch on this particular model. I almost passed out with relief reading about the bios switch, only to find out it doesn't have it.

The thing is I've never RMA'd a card before, or anything for that matter, so I'm more than a little nervous. That and this card came with like 4 free games, that's part of the reason I bought it since 100$ worth of games made the $360 price tag look very possible to swing on my limited income. Hopefully they'll take the card back and give me a new one, the only thing that could make me happier is if I could convince them to give me store credit for buying a better version of it AND let me keep the games.

And also a lesson learned, hopefully for real this time. My motherboard has been iffy for years now because I tried to flash the wrong bios to it, and even after put the right one back on it it doesn't quite work right. I think I need to do a little more than one or two day's research before I go doing stuff to things I don't really understand. :laugh: