1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need help finding the bios for my 7970

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by intertubenerd, Oct 22, 2012.

1. intertubenerd New Member

Thanks Received:
    I did something really dumb and tried to flash my XFX R7970 DD into a Ghz edition (as you can probably tell, I'm pretty new to graphics cards in general, since flashing into a Ghz edition is for reference boards only), and what's worse, I didn't save my old bios first. Now I found the collection of bios here at techpowerup, and tried to flash back to the correct bios for my FX-797A-TDFC...it's not the black edition or anything, just the regular, voltage-locked edition I accidently went and bought thinking it was something else....but after flashing to the correct bios it still won't play any games at all, it either gives me a BSOD immediately in the case of Battlefield 3, or freezes with a black screen in the case of Shogun 2, or gives me a white screen and freezes in the case of World of Tanks. Anyway, on the box it says it's version 3.2, I was wondering if maybe there are multiple bios for this same model and I just got the wrong one. There's only one for this exact card in the the techpowerup collection, I was hoping that someone might have the one for version 3.2 or at least knows for certain if that one is the one and only correct bios for this card so I can RMA it without it going in with the wrong bios...please help.
  2. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
    Open GPU-Z and put the part from the BIOS version that is in parenthesis. There are 2 BIOS' I think will work for your card, want to see which you have on there now, and try the other.
  3. intertubenerd New Member

Thanks Received:
    113-797ATDFV10

Thanks for getting back to me so fast. I've already tried the dual-fan bios as well if that's what you're refering to, using a USB disk and atiflash, I just found a version of atiwinflash that works on a german site and I'm gonna try using it to flash first one and then the other a little later if I need to, I don't really trust the computer that I used to make the usb since it's riddled with viruses.
  4. EiSFX

Thanks Received:
  5. intertubenerd New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, that's the one I was just using, and I couldn't run any games with it. That doesn't mean it isn't the right one, but I can run those games with my old graphics cards just like I could before so that rules out any problem with my motherboard or my programs. It might be the right bios, and my 7970 is now damaged, I was just wondering if anyone knew of any different bios for versions 1, 2, 3 etc. so I could try them.
  6. EiSFX

Thanks Received:
    Maybe try reflashing it again with a fresh download of the BIOS could of been a bad flash
  7. animal007uk

Thanks Received:
    Did you remove old drivers to? I always read you should remove drivers when doing a bios flash then reinstall then after the flash is done.
  8. intertubenerd New Member

Thanks Received:
    EiSFX, I've done that a couple times now since you posted, but...

animal007uk, no I didn't, at least not until AFTER I flashed the bios, I guess I'll try that this time and see if it helps.
  9. intertubenerd New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well crap, I don't know if this means anything but I ran dxdiag and it says that my AMD Radeon 7900 Series card has approximately 734 MB of memory, I don't know what that means or how it could have happened unless some of the memory on it went bad.
  10. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    im not sure but isnt there a bios switch on the card?

ALso Id be prepared for an RMA and a hard lesson learned indeed. Also sometimes windows gets so messed up with memory reporting it isnt funny
  11. intertubenerd New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nope, no bios switch on this particular model. I almost passed out with relief reading about the bios switch, only to find out it doesn't have it.

The thing is I've never RMA'd a card before, or anything for that matter, so I'm more than a little nervous. That and this card came with like 4 free games, that's part of the reason I bought it since 100$ worth of games made the $360 price tag look very possible to swing on my limited income. Hopefully they'll take the card back and give me a new one, the only thing that could make me happier is if I could convince them to give me store credit for buying a better version of it AND let me keep the games.

And also a lesson learned, hopefully for real this time. My motherboard has been iffy for years now because I tried to flash the wrong bios to it, and even after put the right one back on it it doesn't quite work right. I think I need to do a little more than one or two day's research before I go doing stuff to things I don't really understand. :laugh: