1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need Help for overclocking my i3570K - First Time

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by flaubert, Apr 25, 2013.

1. flaubert New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello guys.....:)
    I assembled a new PC in order to be able to overclock too. However, they are just inexperienced in the field of overclocking and being the first overclock I do I would need your help.

My sistems:

-Windows 7 x64 SP1
    -Case: cooler master HAF 922
    -MoBo: GAZ77X-UD5H
    -CPU: i3570k
    -Ram: 16 GB Kingston low profile
    -Air cooling: Noctua NH-D14

If possible, I would like to overclock a variable from a minimum of 4.2 to a maximum of 4.5: no further.
    But I do not know how to set the bios values to get this overclock:

I attach screen of my bios.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did a stress test with all voltages and frequencies in stock: test run with intelburn test set as follows:

-Stress level: maximum
    -Times to run: 10
    -Threads: all

Here are the results obtained by monitoring the test with HWMonitor:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you very much for your attention and your help

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  2. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    First, Delid.
    JK JK.
    change baseclock to represent 4.2ghz for a mild OC, or 4.4GHZ for your average overclocker generic OC, and set vcore to the least it will stably run on. Go up in voltage implements between 1.18 and 1.35, and maintain lowest possible. 1.35 is mega overkill.
  3. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    yeah u don't need 1.35v, u ain't going to git 5ghz or something, even on auto the v-core gets to high for oc, my i5-3570k does 1.140V for 4ghz 24-7 and i think can squish more out of it, but i don't have the time to play around that much, but i need to try sooner then later to see what i can get in this area bcs if i can squish like 4,5 or 4,7ghz out of it on reasonable voltage i will do that ^^

and plz fill out System Specs normal ppl will look there.
  4. flaubert New Member

Thanks Received:
    thanks

Thanks for the answers!

Please can you tell me exactly what are the items in the bios to change making the examples so that I can better understand?
    Thank you!
  5. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    Bclk default is 40? set that to 42 or and set vcore to 1.15 (4.2GHz)
    or try bclk 44 and set vcore to 1.18 (4.4Ghz)

adjust voltages by 0.01 if it isnt stable.
    flaubert says thanks.
  6. flaubert New Member

Thanks Received:
    thanks

I looked in the bios and the value of BCLK ranges( by defaultt) from 100.11 to 100.12 MHZ....:

then what value I set it to a OC 4.2 or 4.4
  7. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Go to "ADVANCED FREQUENCY SETTINGS" option.

Get to this page:

[​IMG]

GO into "Advanced CPU Core Features"

on THAT page,

Go to Turbo multiplier

set all to 42.

Don't listen to these guys about voltage, my 3570k needs 1.35 V for 4.5 GHZ, dunno what magical island they got their chips from they think that's average.

you have the option of setting the multiplier shown on that page I showed above, but doing so might disable Power-saving features.

Set voltage on this page:

[​IMG]

Top voltage is for CPU, set to 1.2 V to start, if that's not enough, then increase. No other voltages should need to be changed, except ram volts.
  8. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    "First delid" LOL. Not that it is actually hard or whatever but c'mon man. Let him learn how to overclock first at least.
  9. flaubert New Member

Thanks Received:
    thanks

@ Wrigleyvillain

Ok...but I encountered a problem:

I have set cpu vcore first to 1.2 V and on system boot there was blue screen windows
    Then, i have set cpu vcore to 1.3 V and on system boot there was blue screen windows.

Finally, I tried to enter the bios to reset the value of cpu vcore to AUTO...but my bios freeze.
    So I re-flashed the bios with Q-flash via USB drive.:banghead::cry:

A default i have the value of cpu vcore:

[​IMG]
  10. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    OK, so If you go to monitoring page, what is CPU temperature in BIOS?

1.24 V is a bit high for stock, and kind of also indicates that you'll need higher voltage than was recommended above, as I had thought might be possible. As you can see in the screenshot above, my stock voltage was 1.15V. Those screenshot are out of my review from nearly almost a year ago.

So, on that note, you can capture screenshots like I did of BIOS, if you have a FAT32 USB drive plugged in, just hit "F12", and it will save the image to the FAT32 USB drive.

Also, try multipliers of just "40".
    flaubert says thanks.
  11. flaubert New Member

Thanks Received:
    thanks

Ok ... cadaveca I edited the first post and I added all of my bios screen made with the system that you suggested. I hope they are helpful in finding a solution. Look at them.:)
  12. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    You should only need to adjust settings I've highlighted here. Set "Turbo Boost" option at the top to "manual", and then change the four multipliers to the same number, such as "38. I would manually set CPU voltage to 1.2 V.

[​IMG]

Test at that speed for stability. That'll give you stock multiplier, but across all workloads, rather than just single-threaded. Watch temps for max(try to stay under 90C-95C), and voltages for droop. If droop is large, then increase voltage a bit.

Personally, for monitoring, I like to use AIDA64. At the bottom of the monitoring page there, it lists CPU power consumption. if you are close to 77W there, you'll not be able to clock very high without at least first increasing cooling. if it's around 50W(ideally), then you should be able to adjust multipliers up, keeping the same voltage settings, and test as you go.

The rest of the settings should adjust automatically for you without any issues. Try wit hthe settings I mentioned here, and report back when you've done some testing, and let me know how it failed and perhaps I can direct you further. On a side note, I like to test using Prime95 v27.7 or newer, and with BF3 after prime95 has passed some testing and I feel comfotable.
    flaubert says thanks.
  13. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    man i wish it were that easy on my evga z77 ftw board, BIOS is too confusing for me :p
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    It basically is just as simple, I'd imagine, but since EVGA didn't send me any boards, I haven't the slightest idea how to help ya there. One of the biggest issues when it comes to trying to follow guides is that different brands use different labels for the same settings, and deciphering what is what can be quite difficult.

Gigabyte, however, are very good with auto settings for this, as are ASUS, ASRock, and MSI, but Gigabyte has been the best for the config I have. ASUS sets memory too tight, ASRock needs you to set OC profile first, then tweak, and MSI is pretty much by the book, as written by Intel(with a bit of their own flavor mixed in). Together it makes for a TONNE of fun for me, trying everything out and figuring out what's what.
    AlienIsGOD says thanks.
  15. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    only reason i got the EVGA board was that it was $94 on newegg.ca (back up to $300 and change :O ). Im sure if i do some research i will be able to figure out how to clock it proper. The fact their quasi-UEFI BIOS is even on this board is quite a shame tho...
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. flaubert New Member

Thanks Received:
    thanks

Hello cadaveca!:respect:
    I read your post just now. In fact, from 20:45 to 21.15 I did this test with the prime95

Bios setting changed:

-Intel turbo boost tecnology: set on ACTIVE
    -Turbo ratio core 1: set to 42
    -Turbo ratio core 2: set to 42
    -Turbo ratio core 3: set to 42
    -Turbo ratio core 4: set to 42

Saved new setting bios,restarting OS and launch prime95 test for 1 hour and 45 minutes.

Results

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next time I will use AIDA64
  17. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Looking Great!

So, you have two options now. Increase multipliers, or lower voltage. You're hitting mid-seventies @ load, with 1.3V, going by HWmonitor, consuming a bit under 90W. I'd try lower voltage to get power consumption down a bit, seems like it's a bit high with that power consumption.

Either way, change multis or voltage, re-test, and then "rinse and repeat".

;)

When you run into a crash in P95, let me know, maybe I can help you with that too.
    DRDNA and flaubert say thanks.
  18. flaubert New Member

Thanks Received:
    thanks

Ok thanks cadaveca....but:

i can do some practical examples refer to menu in the bios that I have to edit and with what values?
  19. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    You should only have to change the same settings I already mentioned. CPU voltage needed will cahgne with every chip, so no, unfortunately. Try raising Turbo multipliers to 44, perhaps, or lower CPU voltage by 0.05V and re-test. Either way has similar effects, one will lower power used, the other will increase performance. You want to find the point where the changes you make cause a failure, then step back to the previous stable setting.

So, increase CPU multis to 44. Test. If stable, then increase again to 46. If it fails, try odd multipliers, or, go back to previous stable, and then try lower voltages. There is really not more to it than that. Intel offers warranty for OC, even, it's so easy. Adding anything to it, just complicates things. Adjusting VCCSA, VCCIO, is simply not needed, VCCSA only needed when going over 1866 MHz on memory, and PLL Overvoltage option needs to be enabled for memory speeds over 2133 MHz. 24/7 OC should NOT require ANYTHING ELSE.
    flaubert says thanks.
  20. flaubert New Member

Thanks Received:
    thanks

I tried to bring all 4 turbo core value to 44. After 15 min of prime95 maximum temperatures were these that you see:

[​IMG]

Now I stopped prime95: what I do: re-launch test with prime95 and turbo core to 44 and let go on the test for more than an hour?
  21. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    No, that's too hot.

GO back to 42, and try lower voltages. Set to 1.25 V manually. HW Monitor says your load voltage is 1.27V-1.3V, so try a bit less. Test with Prime95. If passes, lower by 0.025V, to 1.225 V, test again, if passes, lower again, test again. Repeat until it fails. when it fails, let us know.
    flaubert says thanks.
  22. flaubert New Member

Thanks Received:
    thanks

Ok cadaveca...thanks. Before proceeding with the test you suggested, I'll show the voltages in AIDA64 during the test with prime95 and four core to 44.

[​IMG]
  23. flaubert New Member

Thanks Received:
    thanks

Tried: but windows blue screen on system boot with 1.25 V and all core values to 42.
  24. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Increase CPU Voltage by 0.025V until it boots, then add 0.025 more, then test. If you end up at the same 1.3 V for 4.2 GHz, you gotta really poor chip, and that's that.
  25. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    OR...

used fixed voltage, set to 1.30 multi to 45x. Should boot. Then LOWER voltages until it isnt stable. :)

OUCH