1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need help if possible for a shorted USB flash drive

Discussion in 'Storage' started by ae86trueno, Dec 16, 2009.

1. ae86trueno New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi guys,

I just stuffed up my USB flash drive.
    What happened I was cleaning my PC, removing cables etc.. and for some reason I inserted the cable for USB infront of the case inverted (the cable for the pin USB 5 & 6 was inverted.. I taped all 8 pin together to help putting it back easier but when I plugged it back I made mistake by inserting it upside down.. so kinda like USB 5 pinned to 6 and 6 to 5 and the order reversed - data+ data- +)

I only noticed after I plugged my USB flash drive and now the flash drive cannot be detected.. its like nothing at all when it plugged in.. I'm sure it was shorted.. anyone had this before and if there is any chance to recover the data?

Thanks for help... I know the chance is next to none.. :(
  2. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    it may well be totally stuffed.

The one and only time i put a USB header in backwards like you did, i lost two mice and a flash drive to it.
  3. ae86trueno New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the quick reply Mussels,
    yeah.. I was expecting the worst .. I've been searching the net for any recovery or fix for half day.. but only finding HP tool to low format a 0mb flash disk.. :(