1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need help in cpu compare

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Krazy Owl, May 9, 2012.

1. Krazy Owl

Krazy Owl New Member

Thanks Received:
  2. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Just to let you know, Pentium D was Intel's very first stab at a multi-core processor. It's seriously two P4 dies on one. If you want better multi-threaded support, take the PD, if you want better single-thread performance, take the P4. The P4 is also 65nm rather than 90nm, so it might clock pretty high if your motherboard lets you OC.

dhdude says thanks.
  3. Krazy Owl

Krazy Owl New Member

Thanks Received:
    Single or mutli I don't know the difference. For BF2 like I told would it be better multi or single?

4. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    I had a Pentium D 830 that would do 4Ghz with only a .05v increase! It did OK for HTPC stuff and light gaming. Also had a Pentium D 805 that would do 4.1Ghz paired with a 8800GTS 640MB that would play games up to far cry 3 at OK FPS.

I personally would pick the Pentium D as long as you got the CPU for around 15-20$ shipped.

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. dhdude

Thanks Received:
    Pentium D due to it being two physical cores compared to the P4 being 1 physical = 2 logical cores. Since the time of their release, a lot more applications can take advantage of the extra core, negating the clock speed difference between the two. As previously asked, does the motherboard support overclocking?

6. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Pentium D, easily.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  7. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    The Pentium 4 is on a smaller process than the Pentium D (65nm vs 90nm), I think single-threaded performance will be greatest on the Pentium 4. The P4 also has more L2 cache dedicated for a single core, where the PD has 512Kb per core iirc. However the PD most likely can pump out more FLOPS when using 2 threads. The PD is most likely the better bang for the buck.

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  8. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    The PD has 1MB per core, 2MB total. The PD has 2MB total as well. The extra Cache on the P4 is only really going to help with Hyperthreading, netburst didn't really benefit from more than 1MB unless it was using HT.

Everything is going to feel snappier with the Pentium D, trust me I've still got P4 and PD systems running today. Even with the slower clock speed, Windows will love offloading work to the second core, and doing tasks in Windows will feel so much faster.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU