1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need help making a computer

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Noobcomputermaker, May 17, 2006.

1. Noobcomputermaker

Noobcomputermaker New Member

Thanks Received:
    This is my first computer im making! lol its exciting to me. i have some questions...

How much does it cost to make a computer that will play oblivion on full settings? (cheapest setup that can do that)

What do i need to know to build a computer?

Will the hardware i buy tell me where to plug everything in?

Can someone give me a link to a computer less than 1000 bucks that is a good gaming computer?

what is cheaper building a custom computer or buying a computer already custom made?

Any tips or websites that can help me build a computer please post. Thanks for any help

PS this is my first post! lol:)

2. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    As long as you know what the parts are (GPU, CPU, etc..), with some computer knowledge, you should be fine. I was too, nervous and excited about building my first comp, but it turned out fine, and isn't as hard as what first timers expect.

3. Noobcomputermaker

Thanks Received:
    Is Gpu the video card? Because i did a google picture search and it looks like a cpu sort of

4. devinXkillyou

devinXkillyou New Member

Thanks Received:
    the gpu is like the processor for the graphics card. basically i suggest buying a computer magazine that has something like "build your own computer", or something of that sort. Read everything carefully and familiarize yourself with all the hardware terms and functions. Its really not as hard as you would think. Every part that you buy for a computer comes with instructions; as long as you read them carefully, you should do fine.
    Building a computer yourself is always going to be cheaper than buying a pre-built one. I suggest going to Pricewatch.com and searching for all the hardware you need. Sometimes you can find a local computer store online that has low shipping rates. One other thing that helps is if you have a friend that has built one before. I talked to my friend who lived out of state on AIM, and he gave me pointers and answered questions. Good luck with your first build.

5. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just make sure you know your parts well and you're familiar with the things you're doing. It's easier than what most people think.

6. bretts31344

bretts31344

Thanks Received:
    Post all the parts you want to buy on here in one post and let people look over them before you buy anything. You have to make sure the system is compatible. Someone will always be willing to help. One question too. How much are you planning on spending?

7. Noobcomputermaker

Thanks Received:
    The most would be 900 bucks, i hope i dont need to go that high.

8. Noobcomputermaker

Thanks Received:
    http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/wishlist/PublicWishDetail.asp?WishListNumber=1899346

What can you add to this to make this a functions computer? Is it a good computer for gaming? i found this someone made, If anyone has a newegg.com account or can make one up, can they make me a computer that is less than 1,000 dollars that would be a good gaming computer, then send me their wish list (all the parts, like the link i gave), thanks

9. drade

drade

Thanks Received:

You could build a good pc with 900 bucks actually, any plans on what you want to get? I would go amd, Get a 64 freezer cooler, Lian Li case.... Well Ill see what people put, and correct them :laugh:

10. bretts31344

bretts31344

Thanks Received:
    http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1959811,00.asp

Thats a budget gaming PC for $800. If you have other means of obtaining Windows XP, use the money they spent and upgrade the CPU or GPU. Do the same if you have a hard drive, keyboard, or mouse. One more question. What monitor are you planning to use and whats its highest resolution?

11. devinXkillyou

devinXkillyou New Member

Thanks Received:
    it depends on what kinds of games you are wanting to play. Battlefield 2? Half-life 2? probably not. but lower-end games it should play fine. Your processor is decent, but you might want to spend a little bit more on your motherboard. I got mine for 60 bucks, and i regret it. I have had problems ever since i built it. Asus is a good brand though, just try to get one that supports a PCI xpress graphics card (thats another thing you need to add to your list, a graphics card). 1GB of ram is good; although i would get a larger hard drive. if you dont have alot of games, or download alot of music/movies/software, 80gb should be fine. I bought an 80gb hard drive when i built my comp, and then bought another 160gb hard drive recently.

12. markkleb Guest

bretts, good link..it would be pretty hard to beat that.

All i would change is 1 more 7600 in SLI.. (about $1000 total)

13. drade

drade

Thanks Received:
    Nice specs:rockout: On a 1 grand pc! Yea change that vid card, everything else looks really good

14. Noobcomputermaker

Thanks Received:
    I am confused about the Gpu, What is it? Is it part of the video card or what?

15. HookeyStreet

HookeyStreet Eat, sleep, game!

Thanks Received:
    GPU = Graphics Processing Unit

Basically its the 'brain' of the graphics card :)

16. devinXkillyou

devinXkillyou New Member

Thanks Received:
    Its an actual chip on the graphics card. It is almost always hidden by some sort of heatsink/fan on the graphics card.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphics_processing_unit