1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need help OC my CPU i5 2500K

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Z52, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Z52 New Member

Thanks Received:
    CPU: i5 2500K
    Heatsink: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1
    Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound
    PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.2
    MB: MSI P67A-G43 (B3) LGA 1155

My system is running on default at the moment. Since I spend so much on this, I would like to OC, however I don't know anything about overclocking. I don't know what to consider and what not. A simple guide will be very helpful. I've been looking on the forums for one but cannot find one for my CPU.

I mostly use my computer for BC2, Soldier Front, Photoshop, Premiere and other basic things.

I would really appreciate your help

Thank You,

Z52

2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
  3. Neuromancer

Neuromancer

Thanks Received:
    Before you get into the heavy deets, have you tried using the MSI control center or the OC genie button on your motherboard?

That alone is MORE than enough for a 24/7 system IMHO. I love overclocking, but my 24/7 runs, stock (ish) I used my OCing ability to tweak things.

First thing, dump the auto-downclocking. Makes a system sluggish. If power conservation is your goal find the lowest power it will run without dropping multi. The lag with the multi switching is greater than the speed benefit of using fancy ram. To do this go into bios and disable C1 state.

EIST should be left enabled for turbo.

Ram tweaking will have biggest effect, at 3.8 GHz 1600 MHz RAM is important. Faster (up to 5GHz) 1866 MHZ is more important.

Good case airflow is important when OCing. Especially for the PCH. Without direct airflow on it, you can run into problems unless you have central AIR.

Include your GPU and RAM in your deets :)