1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need help on 2 builds pls.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Corrosion, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Corrosion

Corrosion New Member

Thanks Received:
    hi, my dad and i are both gonna get Q6600's tonight but we dont know good mobo's to get. what is a good crossfire (for my dad) and SLI (For me) motherboard for this setup?

thx.

2. Corrosion

Corrosion New Member

Thanks Received:
  3. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm ordering a new PC this week, this is the list of parts I went with. Feel free to look at it and see if you like anything there. The X38 is a great motherboard with a lot of overclocking headroom, great for Crossfire. I also decided to go with the 3870 X2, and will get a second one when a driver is released that supports 2 in Crossfire.

Corrosion says thanks.
  4. Corrosion

Corrosion New Member

Thanks Received:
    Damn, bro u got some money to burn. i like that board, ill have my dad take a look at it

thx for the reply.

5. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    No offense, but just taken by personal experience of another forum user. That 780i board he is having problems with it not being able to take an overclock and BSOD's.

I say if you must do SLi, look into the 680i's.

As far as your dad's rig goes, that is a different story. Look into the P5k-e or the MSI P35 Neo 2 Platinum.

Corrosion says thanks.
  6. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    I saw the thread with fit having major problems with his 780, but he seems a rare exception. I know he thinks its the motherboard, and I don't want to cast doubt on him...but he went through 5 brand new boards and all developed the same problem. I gotta believe its another piece of hardware he has not getting along with the 780. Any piece of hardware, even the best, someone out there will have a horror story using it. I wouldn't be scared to go with the 780, just do some research and see what hardware others have used with it and see what works well.

Corrosion says thanks.
  7. Corrosion

Corrosion New Member

Thanks Received:
  8. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    I *think* that the P35 can only do 16x lanes and 4x on the other while in Crossfire. The X38 allows 16x lanes on both PCI-E slots, which results in better performance. Someone else will have to confirm that, I've never had a crossfire build and I'm sure others know more than I do. It wasn't until recently though that you could have 16x lanes on both cards in a Crossfire setup.

9. Corrosion

Corrosion New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah it seems hard to find crossfire boards on egg cuz they never say crossfire in the title, or enywere else for that matter. i always see SLI though