1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need help on what kind of laptop I should use.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by happita, Jul 11, 2012.

1. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    I'm in the market for purchasing a laptop. Tablets are out of the question seeing as I really need a physical keyboard for typing fast and efficiently, not a digital touchscreen keyboard. I've looked on the egg for some laptop deals and what confuses me the most is the amount of options I have for selecting what kind of GPU I want this thing to have. I will be mainly using this thing to pursue my new endeavor of becoming an author (a published one hopefully), play some 720p movies/videos/youtube, and play a few casual games (nothing heavy).

Requirements:
    New or Used (the cheaper the better)
    HDD - minimum 320GB or SSD minimum 128GB
    Graphics - low power & can handle 720p fairly easily
    Display - must be at least 1280x720
    OS - Windows 7

Is it possible to get this configuration for a $400 budget?

2. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    The AMD A 8 Fusions are running about $450 which would be ideal. But you can get an Intel i3 for Under $400 It just wouldn't game as well as the A 8. The HD video is not a problem for ether one. Check Fry's http://www.frys.com/ads/page1

happita says thanks.
  3. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    I'm a lot more confused about how much CPU power I need for a Windows 7 laptop to run smoothly. But just in case I feel I need a speed bump, I could just OC it a few hundred MHz. I pushed my budget to up to $500.
    And I found something interesting, the Trinity APUs are here :eek:

I'm looking to get this 1 in particular: TOSHIBA Satellite C855D-S5237 Notebook AMD A-Serie...

Or I could wait another week to get my paycheck and get this 1 instead: Acer Aspire V3-551-8664 Notebook AMD A-Series A8-4...

And lastly I could stretch it a few more with this 1 (I'd have to sacrifice not eating out for a few weeks >_< TOSHIBA Satellite L855D-S5242 Notebook AMD A-Serie...

Is this too much power for what I need it for? What do you guys think?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  4. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    The Acer looks to be well spec'd for the money. More than enough power for what you want to do with it.