1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

need help/opinion on buying a power supply for card

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Pete2, Sep 16, 2005.

1. Pete2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    First of all i hope that was "specific" enough for the adminstrators if not what the hell was i suppose to type.

Anyway i have a VGC-RB30 and i bought a XFX GF 6600LE 256MB PCI-E graphics card when i first bought it i had to buy extension cables and when i plugged in the power supply IT STILL DIDNT WORK. T.T so i got about 4 friends of mine to help me out 2 of them can build a damn computer and tried all the things i had resetting th C-MOS checking the jumper cables searching BIOS installing updates for BIos and drivers hell we even tried using the computer without a monior (we could tell it was working because even though the monitor was blank we heard the sounds like the windows thing and a few beeps here and there which are normal for my computer during a boot.) and well i got 2 freakin answers to the problem one: power supply is insufficient and two: the cards defective

now i reseached the power supply and its a generic brand thats like you know bland its just a power supply not good not bad anyway it puts out about 305 watts and well if i DO need to buy a new power supply then i need help pickin one. PLZ just post links

now if you think its not the power supply AT ALL then ill take the card to compUSA and get them to test it. yeah and well if you can figure out ANYTHING else to try then in the name of all that is holy SUGGEST IT ja;lskdjfasdkj lol this things got me pissed puttin in a graphics card isnt suppose to be rocket science >_>

2. tony929292

tony929292 New Member

Thanks Received:
    need bigger psu it should say on the box whats recommed go 100 watts over that the recommed + 50 watts will cut out when you playing games at high setting when there aslo alot going on they vary so much on price this will defently do the trick http://xoxide.com/tt-silent-purepower-680w-psu.html but i just bought this on it still in the mail should arrive monday http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-BLUE-Rhycom-650W-ATX-Dual-Fan-Power-Supply-w-SATA_W0QQitemZ6802869316QQcategoryZ44949QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem and i am putting it on my new system will 2 graphic cards and ton of lights it might not do the job becase it is gernic but keep this in mind brand over grenic more power over less and seen what you find i chose more power grenic

Last edited: Sep 16, 2005
  3. tony929292

tony929292 New Member

Thanks Received:
    aslo you have to find out if u have 20 or 24 pin connects aux sata and shit on your motherboard and hard drives and shit

4. Pete2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Holy Shit

DAMN MAN THAT FIRST ONE is AWESOME BUT I DONT HAVE 160 dollars i have 100 XD so yeah XD good but urr i need something like 400-500 lol not 680! lol thats a bit much

oh and why is the second one so much less is it like ultra crappy or is it really because they buy in like huge huge amounts

Last edited: Sep 17, 2005
  5. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received: