1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

need help overclocking GTX 670

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by john.sa, Aug 31, 2012.

1. john.sa New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am not sure how to overclock the Core clocks.

I have increased the memory clocks from 1500mhz to 1700mhz. its stable while playing Sleeping Dogs maxed out.

But as soon as I overclock the Core clock to 1100mhz, the video card resets itself and i get black screen and the game crashes.

I also tried to increase the powerlimit and voltage to +25 offset but still the video card does the same thing.

Right now its pretty stable at default Voltage and Powerlimit when the Core clock is at 1067mhz and memory at 1700mhz.

What would be the right powerlimit and Voltage to make it stable at or above 1100mhz Core???

my card is MSI GTX 670 2GB.

2. TissueBox

Thanks Received:
    Follow this comprehensive guide:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1265110/the-gtx-670-overclocking-master-guide

It really does take 3 hours of adjustments to get it right. The main goal is to find the right balance between TDP, voltage, temperature, and core clock (or boost clock) to allow for the best results.

A little friendly reminder that setting your core clock to its maximum stable clock isn't going to cut it anymore, because it'll likely TDP throttle and give you worse results than setting the core right where it won't throttle at all.

As a guideline, I've gotten my reference EVGA GTX 670 up to a core clock of 1085MHz, with a maximum boost of 1320MHz. No throttling occurred, fan speed at 60%, and ambient at ~21C.

3. john.sa New Member

Thanks Received:
    well, i dont think my card throttled at 70c. because it still reaches and stays at 75c with full fan speed.

so it doesnt throttle right?

4. TissueBox

Thanks Received:
    It SHOULD throttle at or above 70C.

With that said, temperature throttling isn't the only thing to worry about. Look if your core clock moves around while you're benchmarking or playing a game - if it does, look at your power %. If your core clock moves around while at or above your set power target, you'll know that you're TDP throttling.

In the event that you're not, crank up those clocks a bit more, then stability test. Repeat as neccessary until you find where it throttles. Set up your 24/7 clocks just before that point.

5. john.sa New Member

Thanks Received:
    what does it happen if it throttles?

if thats the case then i easily reach above 70c with stock speeds while playing sleeping dogs maxed out then.

Are you sure that ALL 670 cards should throttle at 70c and not just SOME??

6. TissueBox

Thanks Received:
    According to that guide and Google, it seems so for the temperature throttling.

When it TDP throttles or temperature throttles, the boost will decrease in 13MHz increments until the card itself determines that it's safe. In other words, you're not getting your maximum performance that you could be getting. That's why you have to monitor everything about your card.

7. john.sa New Member

Thanks Received:
    umm. i have my doubts. my card stayed at 75c many times and it never reduced to go under 70c as the result of throttling.... but i will check into this.

but why Nvidia put such a limit?

so that people cant overclock higher than gtx 680 or something?

a gtx 670 is almost in the same range of speed as a gtx 680 in the first place anyway.

to me buying a gtx 680 is pointless....

the only better option after a gtx 670 is a gtx 690 but its too expensive. thats it.

8. TissueBox

Thanks Received:
    It won't downclock to get under 70C; it downclocks itself so it won't get any hotter (to stay within a certain operating temperature). For example, if your max boost was 1320MHz at 60-69C and you're over 70C, you'd be getting 1307MHz. Every 10C results in an additional 13MHz drop to your maximum boost starting at 70C I believe.

Anywho, all of your GTX 670 overclocking basics, tips, and methods were mentioned in the thread I linked. Happy overclocking!

9. john.sa New Member

Thanks Received:
    oh. u got MSI 670 as well.

can u please tell me what power limit and voltage u set ur card to?

i can try your settings.

10. john.sa New Member

Thanks Received:
    so far I can increase the memory clock up to +600 as offset. which translates from 192.256 GB/sec to 230.00 GB/sec on memory speed. running Sleeping Dogs maxed out. its stable so far.

pretty good ey?

11. TissueBox

Thanks Received:
    I have the MSI GTX 670 Power Edition - it's different from the reference GTX 670. Which card do you have?

These are my current settings:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I haven't bothered overclocking my memory since it yields minute gains.

12. john.sa New Member

Thanks Received:
    My one is the normal MSI GTX 670 1GB OC edition.

I have overclocked mine to +600 for Memory and +143 for Core, +100 for Voltage and +100 for power.

so far its stable. but if i increase the power by even a little bit i get black screen and the video card resets itself. otherwise i still have my full speed. even though the temp goes above 75c. i checked.

13. john.sa New Member

Thanks Received:
    and so far maxing out Sleeping Dogs and DarkSiders.

So the card doesnt decrease the clocks when the temp goes above 70c. When i exit to the desktop while i game and check the GPUz, it still shows that i have my overclocked clocks.

but if i increase the powerlimit the video card resets itself and i get blackscreen.

14. john.sa New Member

Thanks Received:
    why is that when i play Darksiders with the same Clock settings i get an instant reset and black screen but it doesnt happen with Sleeping Dogs on maxed out settings???

its weird. it looks like when i decrease the memory clock settings i dont get any resets and black screen when playing Darksiders. that game isnt even demanding.

why is that? can anyone tell?

15. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    Easy, Your overclock isn't stable ;)

16. john.sa New Member

Thanks Received:
    actually i find out hard to overclock the GTX 670. its weird. its unlike the older cards.

u have voltage and powerlimit settings.

and in some games your overclocks are stable and some other games its not!!!!

I mean come on, you dont even have any customizeable graphical settings for Darksiders and i get an instant reset!!!

all i want to do is to find the absolute limit of the card and overclock it to its absolute limit.

I want to do this to prepare myself for demanding games like Far Cry 3, Crysis 3, etc.. :(

17. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    I will quote myself just to remind you ;)

18. john.sa New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol yeah. ATI user.

if anyone is experienced in overclocking a GTX 670 2GB, especially the MSI OC version, please advise me. :)

19. TissueBox

Thanks Received:
    :laugh:

It's trial and error. I've already told and advised you as much as possible. If it crashes or throttles, bump your clocks down and test again. If it doesn't, bump your clocks up and test again. Rinse and repeat until you're at the point at which you're not throttling or crashing.

It's the same concept as overclocking any other card, except you have to monitor a few more things. It's just tedious and time consuming.

20. john.sa New Member

Thanks Received:
    what i did was to reduce the Core clock speed and maximize the memory clock speed and start from there.

I found out if i increase the core clock to beyond 1060mhz or something, i get resets and black screen in some games regardless of powerlimit, voltage and memory clock speed.

why is that though?

The Core clock seems to be very sensitive than Memory clocks regardless.

21. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    What power supply are you using?

22. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    Ur card might be maxed out. Just cause someone else can reach certain numbers doesnt mean u will

23. john.sa New Member

Thanks Received:
    erocker: its Antec 650w. its max Amp is 38A.

anything wrong?

u think it might be the power issue?

but i never get restarts or shutdowns.

I like to increase the Core as much as i can because that what affects the performance the most. increasing the memory doesnt help much. i dont know why.

24. bernie3674 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I OCed both my MSI GTX 670 power edition OC, one is able to hit 1270, and the other one is at 1215, on memory I use +200 on both, hope that info helps.

EDIT:I would first not adding anything on memory, power limit to max, and play with core, use heaven unigen max setting and see if its stable for 2 hours, and play BF3 in those big maps through out the week, I used that route to find my stable clock.

25. Black Mesa New Member

Thanks Received:
    Three hrs to OC a GPU somethings busted LOL.