1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need help picking a case.

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding & Electronics' started by cameronh779, Oct 17, 2013.

1. cameronh779

cameronh779

Thanks Received:
    I just recently put together a much nicer system and its far too crowded and its affecting my temps alot.

Things i'm looking for in a case:

Space - I don't want something huge and bulky but something with enough room for decent airflow.

Bottom Mounted PSU - Not sure if this is standard nowadays.

No Side Panel - Just looking for something clean cut without any fancy LEDs or side panel or anything.

Price - Really low on cash so i'm looking for something under 30$ (doesn't include shipping, I have free shipping with shoprunner). The cheaper the better

I'm using a Micro ATX motherboard and don't plan on going ATX anytime soon. A bunch of fans are not necessary, as i'm not overclocking or anything. Hopefully I can get some good suggestions and i'll add my input as needed.

Once again,

Thanks TPU!

:toast:

EDIT: I might have to do some measurements, but this one looks to be a good size. At least much bigger than the one I have.

DIYPC DIY-5823BK Black SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer...

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  2. DF is BUSY

DF is BUSY

Thanks Received:
  3. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Look at Fractal

cameronh779 says thanks.
  4. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Fractal Define, or NZXT 210?

cameronh779 says thanks.
  5. ne6togadno

ne6togadno

Thanks Received:
  6. cameronh779

cameronh779

Thanks Received:
    I really like some of the choices here. The first xigmatek and the HEC are my two favorites so far. They are priced well and are aesthetically pleasing to me. In the second group of selection I noticed side panels, lots of leds, and not really a ''clean cut'' look I was going for.

The HEC might be perfect! I would probably replace the front LED fan but i'm kind of on the fence about the red stripe. I'm not sure if I dislike it or love it! I like the front design compared to the Fractal case which I will link below. I'm not a fan of the mesh or big fan holes on the front.

Fractal Design Core 1000 FD-CA-CORE-1000-USB3-BL B...

Thanks for your wonderful suggestions guys!

7. cameronh779

cameronh779

Thanks Received:
    After looking at the Source 210 I think i've found the perfect case for me. I'm still open to suggestions as I am not gonna make a purchase right away. It fits all my requirements and has the exact look I was looking for. I will continue to look at other cases at an attempt to find something better or even something on par but cheaper.

NZXT Source 210 S210-001 Black ÔÇťAluminum Bru...

I was also considering the Antec NEW SOLUTION Case until I noticed it had a top mounted PSU. But between these two cases i'm sure you guys can get an idea of what I want aesthetically. I'm glad that TPU is helping me make this purchase. I couldn't think of a better way to be comfortable in spending my money than asking the members here for their opinions and suggestions. Times are hard and i'm trying to spend every dollar wisely. I'm trying to keep this under 35-45$. I noticed the NZXT 210 is on sale, does anyone know the normal price of this case? My purchase might be after this sale ends.

8. ne6togadno

ne6togadno

Thanks Received:
  9. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    Be careful with some of these cheaper cases. The Source 210 only comes with 1 120mm fan, so you will (most likely) have to provide more (2 should suffice). Make sure to consider that in the cost. I learned this the hard way after I bought a cheap case and then spent ~$45 on fans for it.:eek: If you have spare 120mm fans, this is a mute point.

$60 after promo code and MIR Corsair Carbide Series 400R

Edit #2: A quality case is a joy to work with. The opposite is true of a poorly made one. If you could swing it, I don't think you be sorry if you got this: Fractal Design Define R4 It's on sale right now, but if you need more time, this sale seems to come around quite often, like every month or 2.

Really read the reviews of the cases you are considering, although I will say that one of the hardest things about them is to figure out whether the reviewer is a Grey Poupon, French's Spicy Brown or store brand Yellow Mustard type of person.

sneekypeet says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. cameronh779

cameronh779

Thanks Received:
    After taking into all considerations I have yet to see a case that has what I want for a better price than the Source 210. I can't imagine putting anymore than maybe one fan in the front for intake considering i'm not overclocking nor do I have any really hot hardware. I'm hoping it doesn't jump to 40$ by the time i'm ready to purchase. I might be picking something else then, i'm unsure.

11. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. cameronh779

cameronh779

Thanks Received:
    Thanks though!

13. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    The 210 comes up for sale all the time.

Norton says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    +1 :toast:

Watch for sales on Source 210's they normally drop down to near $30 with free shipping. They are pretty good cases for the price- I have 2 of them and have no complaints.

Crunching for Team TPU