1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need help rotating Xigmatek 90 degrees on AM2+

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by MT Alex, Aug 2, 2009.

1. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    I was wondering if anyone had a good solution for turning a Xigmatek 90 degrees on an AMD board. It would be nice if my cooler fan blew directly out the back fan. Also, right now my cpu fan is sucking hot air right off of my video card. I bought a Type X retention module, but have no real idea on how to make it work with my board.
    Kantastic says thanks.
  2. Fatal

Fatal

Thanks Received:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835708046

or

http://www.overclock.net/water-cooling/441911-custom-brass-mounts.html

or this seems much better to me I think I will get this

http://www.jab-tech.com/Thermalright-S-clip-Heatsink-mounting-clip-pr-3446.html

Pics of it installed
    http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/product_page/cpu/hr01/installation_cpu_cooler_hr01.htm#k8

I was thinking the same thing will look for more and post what I find.

Edit: Oops didnt see you already have the type X will look for how to make it work :D
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
    MT Alex says thanks.
  3. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    Gee, that was fast

Thanks for your quick response. I like the looks of Thermalright's S Clip, it looks a little easier than fiddling with the 775 push pins. However, my Xigmatek doesn't have the hole on the top for the center pin, but I'm sure that could be worked around.

In regards to the Type X module, I'm not sure I have all of the appropriate hardware, as the kit came with no innerspring screws. I don't know what the heck those are, I was hoping just to use the push pins that came with the cooler. It seems when reading the first review on Newegg that these must be a necessary part. I'm inferring that they must replace the push pins on the 775 brackets?

Keep on Rockin'
  4. Fatal

Fatal

Thanks Received:
    MT Alex says thanks.
  5. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    Looking at that X-type mounting, it should be incredibly easy to mount the Xiggy with just a quick trip to a local hardware store.

Basically you want to mount the Intel mounting mechanism on the Xigmatek cooler, remove the push-pins (they come apart relatively easily). Then using a combination of washers and a nut of the correct size you just pop the Xigmatek cooler on the bracket and screw it down.

This is just what I've been looking for, now if I can just find one in the UK I'll be set.
    MT Alex says thanks.
  6. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    Yup, that's it

Thanks guys, that is exactly what I was looking for. I was wondering about the simple bolt and nut option.

Keep on Rockin'
    Montana Alex :toast:
  7. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    Well let me know how it goes. You can't get these in the UK so I'd need to import one, if all goes well on your end I have a few phone calls to make :)
  8. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    Howdy folks!
    Well, I got that cooler mounted this afternoon. It turned out pretty well, and probably could have been handled without removing the motherboard, but I took it out anyhow. The following pictures pretty much speak for themselves. I used a 4" grinder to remove the tab on the 775 bracket, but a dremel would also work, albeit much slower. Removing the tabs and mounting the brackets on top aleviated the different height issues between the AM2 and 775 systems. The nuts were easily reaced with a 5.5mm socket.
    The nuts were .19 each, and the washers were .10. The Type X bracket ran me 2.99 at Newegg.
    I really like the looks of the hardware Fatal found, and someday I will probably go that route, but this worked with what was on hand.

Thanks again

Attached Files:

burrito, jmcslob and Fatal say thanks.
  9. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Damn! I've been looking for exactly this solution!

I am so buying the X-Type today!
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  10. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    Ok, me wanty :)
  11. Nick89

Nick89

Thanks Received:
    Awesome! I was just wondering how I could mount my xiggy so the hot air would blow to my exhaust fan!
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  12. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Putting this in my cart as we speak.
  13. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    Any chance you could do me one and ship to me? :D
  14. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    lol. If need be. Never shipped anything over seas tho, so don't really know what I would need to do.
  15. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    Stick it in a Jiffy bag (padded envelope?) and ship it :p
  16. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    After shipping to my house, it costs $9 each, plus whatever it would cost to ship to you. That OK?
  17. Fatal

Fatal

Thanks Received:
    MT Alex It looks great I am going to have to get one of the mounting kits soon. Once you have it running for a while please let us know if your temps lowered. I want it 90-degrees for my first memory solt. I am not sure if that will help as I have a Scythe Ultra Kaze 120mm 3,000RPM. Its fan dimensions are 120mm x 120mm x 38mm so I will have to check to see if I will be ok. That and I have to get more memory my dominators are shot again this board does not like them and they are not supported. May get these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231166

Sweet job MT Alex I am sure this will help out some people that are looking to mount theirs 90-degree's. :toast:
  18. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    Well...

It's been five days since I rotated my s983 90°, and I have noticed some drops in my temperature. It should also be noted that when I took the cooler off it looked like I had applied the thermal compound a little thick, and used less when I remounted it.
    Anyhow, prior to the rotation my lowest idle temp was 34°, and at max load would reach 53°. After rotating the cooler my idle dropped to 32° and a max load of 50°. This was also on days that were reaching 90° outside. Today it is a very comfortable 63° outside, and my idle hit a record low of 28.5. All temps and load tests were recorded with AMD OverDrive.
    I'm pretty happy with the results. Obviously, some of the recorded temperature drops could have been from improper thermal paste application, but I don't think that it accounts for all of the positive outcome. It also looks a lot more nifty through the clear side panel of my case, staring down the barrel of my cooler fan. Hope this helps.
    Now if anyone could tell me why my Cool 'n' Quite doesn't work after I change my multiplier in the bios...
    Fatal, Darknova and Meltdown say thanks.
  19. Meltdown New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks AMt Alex pics show it all now off to get that x thing
    jmcslob says thanks.
  20. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    Thanks Alex, I was asking about this 2 days ago and this REALLY explained a lot.

PS - Would this work on other coolers?
  21. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    You bet

Kantastic, the method I used will work with any cooler that has the two holes tapped in the base to accommodate the 775 bracket system. However, I just made a cursory search of most of the big name coolers at Newegg, and they all come with some sort of mounting bracket for the 775 system.

It is the Enzotech Type X AM2 bracket that plays the key ingredient. With this bracket any 775 mounting hardware can be fiddled with to work on your AM2 board, whether it is monkeying with the push pin hardware like I did, or simply using the bracket that comes with the cooler that matches up with the four bolts on the Type X bracket.
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
    Kantastic says thanks.
  22. Nick89

Nick89

Thanks Received:
    how do you mount the Xigmatek Thor's hammer or the S1283 with the X-type?

theres no conceivable way to mount ether of them with the X-type without modding.
  23. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    Well I did it the other week, but yeah, it requires a slight bit of modding.

You take the Intel push-in mounts, remove the pushpins, remove the little bent tab bit on the bottom so that you can screw the mounts on the top-side of the cooler base and using washers and screw nuts, mount the cooler.
  24. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    use the the 775 mounting clips and nuts and washers
  25. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    Ya, what they said, and I said earlier

These folks are right. I just looked at the manuals on the Xigmatek website, the base is the same as mine. Didn't you see my pics above? Pull the pins and grind the tabs.

Darknova, how did you finally end up getting the Type X bracket in the UK?