1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need help rotating Xigmatek 90 degrees on AM2+

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by MT Alex, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Nick89

Nick89

Thanks Received:
    I'm now using the Thor's Hammer and this is impossible now.

2. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    well actually no pins to pull with the Xigmatek's

3. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    did it come with 775 mounts?
    WHY not explain
    maybe someone can help

4. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    Geez

Okay, I went to the xigmatek website again, and downloaded the Thor's Hammer manual. This cooler should be even easier than my 983 or the s1283 because the 775 brackets are already made to mount on top of the cooler. And like jmcslob says there aren't the push pins to remove on that model like there are with my 983.
    I have included both frames in case you have lost your manual. The bolts on the Type X bracket line up with the corrisponding 775 holes on the hardware provided. You may not even need to use nuts and washers from the hardware store because of the provided stuff in frame two.
    One thing to note, I moved my 775 brackets to the top of the cooler to resolve the issue of differing heights between the AMD and Intel chips. You may need to go to the hardware store and get longer 3mm bolts, remove the shorter bolts from the Type X (they screw in from the back) and replace them with the longer ones. This will give you enought threads to use nuts or the included jazz. You may just need to clip some length off the springs with the included hardware.
    Hopefully this clears things up. It really will work, I have done it, so have a bunch of people who reviewed the bracket on Newegg.

Attached Files:

5. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    And note, if you use longer bolts, you don't have to grind the Xigmatech mounts. All you should have to do is flip them upside down and bolt them on.

6. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    Wile E bought me one then shipped it to me :)

The Type-S mount has bolts that are twice as long, not sure if they'd reach the mounts if you did that though...

7. Nick89

Nick89

Thanks Received:
    Yea it looks like it in the manual but I have the actual thing sitting here with me. At best you could get a loose fit with the type-X, there are numerous issues that I don't feel like describing.

8. Fatal

Fatal

Thanks Received:
    I bought the Enzotech Type-X AM2 Retention should have it this week some time. I also picked up some G-skills since my Dominators are too tall. They dont gel with my board - Not compatible so I hope I can get higher clocks soon! :cool:

9. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    Nick I hope you get my PM soon! Don't buy the Thor's Hammer again after the RMA!

10. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    All warm and fuzzy

It's nice to see people are finding this thread helpful, or at least interesting enough to comment on. This was my first thread, and my first time ever posting on any forum. I was genuinely surprised when Fatal answered back so quickly, and everyone else who helped out. Now I check the "New Posts" link in the morning before work and periodically during the evening.

You guys are cool.

11. Fatal

Fatal

Thanks Received:
    Good people here and many with a lot of knowledge :toast: I have had many help me out the forum is great. I do hope having it 90 degrees helps me out. Even if its 2c will be worth it to me I think my memory has been my problem. 3.8 GHz is my goal stable so I am keeping my fingers crossed. I hope I just don't have a bad apple :p

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  12. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    7'C idle temp drops for me :)

Fatal says thanks.
  13. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    Is this the G-Skills you bought?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231166

I think I will order those as well, currently using kingston valuram 800, not impressed.

14. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
  15. WSP

WSP New Member

Thanks Received:
    any info on how to rotate 90° on another cooler than Xiggy? TRUeX perhaps?

16. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:

It would work in the same way.

17. burrito New Member

Thanks Received:
    If I get this type-S mount (instead of a type-X) will I still need to mod the clips to attach a XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 to my AM2+ mobo? I don't have any tools for modding the clips but I still want to do the 90 degree rotation.

Also will I need to remove my mobo from the case to remove the old mount and add this one on? Or can I just screw them from the top?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  18. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    The True Rev. C comes with a new mounting kit that allows you to mount AM3 processors in any direction!

WSP says thanks.
  19. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    Okay. First, looking at the pics of the S Type on Newegg, the screws may be long enought that you will have enough threads above the brackets by putting them on top upside down. It is also very possible that you may not need the washers and nuts, you could just put the brackets on your Ziggy and use the screws from the top: through the top of the 775 mounting bracket down into the S mount, rather than installing the screws through the bottom of the S Type bracket and then using washers and screws on top of the cooler.

Second, it depends on the amount of reinforcement that your motherboard has behind the processor slot as to whether or not you have to remove your motherboard. The S and X Type brackets come with reinforcement that goes behind the board. I have a Gigabyte MB and the stock reinforcement was fine, I could have done it all without removing the board. Refer to my pics and explanation on page 1.

Good Luck and Good Hunting
    Alex

20. burrito New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have this motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128014
    I didn't see any screws on it though so I don't know what I would have to do.
    [​IMG]

21. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Does it still have a bracket on the back?

If it doesn't you'll need to buy a new set of mounts in order to do the things these guys are suggesting.

If it does have a bracket and it has threaded holes then you just have to take the push pins out.

22. burrito New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes it does have a bracket on the back, I opened up the other side of the case and there was a hole in the case that let me see the bracket there. I just wanted to make sure I could rip those things off before I broke something lol

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  23. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'd still do it carefully if I were you, I've managed to crack a PCB pulling out those types of push pins!

24. Fatal

Fatal

Thanks Received:
    Yeah those are the ones should do well I hope. :rockout: good reviews on them to and they are not as tall plus to me.

25. WSP

WSP New Member

Thanks Received: