• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need help setting up a registration website

i3uu

System Name Buu's Palace
Processor AMD Phenom II X6 Thubman
Motherboard ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3
Cooling Corsair H50 Hydro CPU Cooler
Memory CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Video Card(s) XFX GeForce GTX 260
Storage WD Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM 3.0Gb/s
Case Antec 1200 Tower
Audio Device(s) Integrated
Power Supply 650W Corsair
Software Vista Ultimate/Windows 7
Benchmark Scores 3.5ghz with 6 cores stressed for 3.5 hours at 39c
I will preface this topic by saying, I have never built a website before. That being said, I am rather tech savvy and know my way around computers (typical). I know the very basics of c++ and can catch on to code and whatnot.

Hello TPU, haven't posted on here in awhile. Anyways, I am in much need of some assistance. I need to set up a very small registration website for my church. We are having a conference within the next few weeks and want to have an option for people to pre-register to come to the event. It will cost $10(i think) and we want the people to pre-pay if possible. All we really want to have this site do is:

-allow people to register to the event (username/password)
-allow the people to pay (pre-set amount of $10)
-let us know if they have paid or not
-give us their name and any contact information we need (email/phone/location)
-allow us to give announcement messages (email?) as the date becomes closer

I know this kind of thing has been done several times before and it is not a new question to be asking, but I'm just unsure on how to accomplish this. We are hoping to use something like paypal to hold all of the registration money. If anyone here has any experience in this type of project, could you please post below or PM me. I, along with many others, would greatly appreciate it. I tried a quick google search but felt it would be better to get a little bit more reliable information.

Zyon

System Name Computernamehere/Computernamehere2/Computernamehere3
Processor i5-2500/Athlon 6000+/C2D Q6700
Motherboard P67A-UD3R/M2N-SLI Deluxe/P5K-Deluxe
Cooling Stock/Hyper212+/Unknown Coolermaster
Memory Patriot PC3-10666 2x2/A-Data PC2-6400 4x1/OCZ PC2-8500 4x1
Video Card(s) MSI GTX580 Lightning/2x Gigabyte GTS450 OC 1GB/2x HIS HD4870 512MB
Storage Seagate 1TB/Samsung 500GB/Seagate 1TB
Display(s) Samsung BX2440
Case V4 Black/Mystique 631 Silver/Soprano VX
Audio Device(s) WTF is a sound card?
Power Supply Corsair HX650/Antec Earthwatts 650W Green/None
Software Windows 7 Home/Professional/Professional
Benchmark Scores TBA
Website huh? You could set up a database containing the list of members and their contact information, and then set up a webpage form that they will use to input the values, then have a submit button which sends the form as post to where you want it and then code in what you want to do with the form (create database entry using the details?), the pay part is going to be tricky because you need to link up with Paypal so that when they press 'Pay' and log in to Paypal the money will be directed to you, otherwise... I could say I 'paid' you $10000000 and in reality you get empty promise.

As for the let us know if they paid or not just have a boolean of 'paid' and make it when they paid enough their entry is updated as 'true'.

.NET or php would be useful for this kind of project. But really 5 minutes on keyboard isn't going to fully explain :D