1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need help troubleshooting internet connection

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by Beertintedgoggles, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Beertintedgoggles

Beertintedgoggles

Thanks Received:
    I'm trying to fix my girlfriend's family computer without much luck so far. They cannot connect to the internet with either explorer or firefox. We took it to our place, can't get an IP address from the router (hardline connection). Ran antivirus in safe mode, tried turning off antivirus and firewall, nothing helps. Put in a PCI ethernet card, still can't acquire an address so it's not the MB port that died. Loaded XP on an extra HD I had around and it access the internet just fine so it is a software setting and not hardware. Anyone have any ideas I can try later tonight when I get home from work?? Thanks in advance.
  2. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Only thing I can think of off the top of my head for you to try is to re-install both chipset and ethernet drivers. Good luck .. :)
  3. JATownes

JATownes

Thanks Received:
    Does you ISP use a dynamic IP or a static IP?? This has caused problems for me in the past. Going through the router, you should set the machines IP to dynamic, but if your ISP uses a static IP, you should set the routers IP to static.
  4. Beertintedgoggles

Beertintedgoggles

Thanks Received:
    Using a router, tried letting the pc acquire the IP automatically and tried setting it up manually. With the clean hard drive the system connects no prob. using auto settings.
  5. Beertintedgoggles

Beertintedgoggles

Thanks Received:
    I thought about that too but with the PCI card unable to connect I figured that kind of ruled that out.
  6. mrhuggles

mrhuggles

Thanks Received:
  7. richardbel

richardbel New Member

Thanks Received:
    if all things don't work.. try to reformat the pc while the internet connection is still plug-in maybe it was set-up on an offline mode...
  8. mrhuggles

mrhuggles

Thanks Received:
    or just fix it :p