• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

need help troubleshooting my build

Phustus

when i try posting this on general hardware i always get either "you need to wait 30 seconds before posting again" or "this is a duplicate thread" so i'm trying it here.

my friend helped me make a custom computer about 6 months ago and it's been giving me and him problems ever since. he's the more tech savvy guy, i know barely anything, anyways he's on vacation and has told me these forums would be the best place to go for help. here's my build (i'm just gonna put everything in the invoice here incase it helps).

Motherboard: Biostar TForce 570 SLI ATX AM2 DDR2 NFORCE570 SLI 2PCI-E16 2PCIE-1 3PCI SATA Gbe Sound Motherboard
Memory: Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500 DDR2 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-1066 CL5-5-5-15 240PIN DIMM Dual Channel Memory Kit (they get underclocked by the mobo to 800mhz)
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Dual Core Processor Socket AM2 2.6GHZ Retail Black Box No HSF Unlocked
CPU Fan: Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro AM2 S754 S939 2200RPM 40CFM Heatsink Fan *NON-PWM Version
Video Card: Galaxy GeForce 8800 GT Overclocked 600 MHZ 512MB 2.0GHZ DDR3 PCI-E DVI-I HDCP HDTV Out OEM Video Card (we put a heatsink on this and just recently attached a fan to that since there was one lying around)
CD Drive: Samsung SH-S203B Black SATA DVD+RW 20x8x16 DVD-RW 20x6x16 DL 18X/12X INT DVD OEM W/ Vista SW
PSU + Case: Antec Sonata III Black ATX 16IN Mid Tower Quiet Case 3X5.25 2X3.5 4X3.5IN 500w 120MM Fan

basically when the parts arrived we built the pc adding a heatsink to the gfx, we overclocked the memory timings and cpu speed quite a bit increasing the voltages as well causing many bluescreens, we eventually found a stable overclock, the RAM didn't seem to want to overclock much at all but the cpu went to like 3.2ghz.

after a few weeks or a month (i forget) something frigged up and my computer started bluescreening repeatedly even after setting everything to stock, also for some reason my pc wouldn't start up unless i had around 2.3V going to the memory, this didn't last long though as the comp started bluescreening even while the ram was overvolted, finally we sent it back for warranty. once the new ram arrived we installed it, kept the cpu overclocked to like 2.8 or 3.0ghz and tried overclocking memory timings but again to no avail.

i can't remember if any crashes occurred in the months to come but a few weeks ago my computer bluescreened and after rebooting it windows said some of it's system files were corrupted. i repaired that and set everything to stock speed except for the ram which i left at 2.1v (i think that's what it's supposed to be at, i don't think it starts up with anything lower), it was good for another two weeks or so, that's when it started crashing and corrupting system files on an hourly basis. i repaired it each time with the xp disc but it kept happening so my friend came over a few days ago and we upped the voltage of the CPU to something like 1.55v (i'll have to check after posting this) and it's been running ok since, i decided to wipe my hard drive though just to rule out the possibility of the malfunctioning being software related, everything has been going good but now i'm starting to get error 131's in World of Warcraft which apparently is related to something being wrong with your system. my pc hasn't had a full blown crash yet with the clean windows installation but i think it might happen soon.

i did the clean windows install yesterday so i haven't tested any hardware yet (i don't really know how to anyways), i've just been trying to not have my comp crash on me. the only real thing we've done recently (just before the clean windows installation) to test was my friend swapped in one of his hard drives, the comp bluescreened so we assumed it was hardware related (the test felt kind of inconclusive which is why i did a fresh install of windows) and that's when we upped the voltage of the CPU and no crashes have occurred since, the only bad thing so far has been the error from WoW.

any ideas or suggestions?