1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need help troubleshooting

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Chicken Patty, Nov 25, 2010.

1. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Alright, here's the deal with this one. A friend of mine said his PC just started to turn off randomly. Well, upon pressing the power button it only stays on about five seconds and shuts off.

I already tried a new battery on the mobo and my PSU from a cruncher which I am sure it works fine, still the same thing. I'm thinking the motherboard is the culprit, what do you guys think?

If so, would there be anyway to confirm it's the motherboard? I don't have another one to try and I wouldn't want to make her go buy a new one and it's not that. It shouldn't be a short because it shouldn't allow it to turn on at all, correct? Thanks in advance for any help. :toast:
  2. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    Nope none, just powers down and that's it. Motherboard looks OK from what I can see. No blown caps, nothing oozing, etc.
  3. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    There was this guy yesterday complaining about the same problem, and it turned out that his heatsink retention clip had broken.
  4. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I'd be looknig at the same thing as well. If it POSTs, and then shuts off, either PSU is wonky, or temps are too high, more often than not.
  5. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    I'm sure that if he isn't a noob, he doesn't need you to speak up for him either. :shadedshu
  6. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    You bet. Hence everyone offering suggestions...doesn't mean that he doesn't know what he's doing...even the best at what they do have off days, and forget to tie thier laces.
  7. Hitman

Hitman

Thanks Received:
    Hello
    Check memory sticks
    I was having the same problem kinda
    It was the motherboard but one of the memory slots had went bad as soon as I took out that memory stick it booted up.

Ruben M.
  8. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    This is an excellent way to check it out. And make sure you use a beeper that works!
    modder says thanks.
  9. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    No beeps, have already isolated everything. Disconnected all but the mobo connectors, still same issue.

Only thing I have hooked up right now is the 24 pin and the 4 pin CPU connector, still does the same thing. It has to be the mobo since it's the only thing hooked up, or the CPU. Thoughts? PC has no VGA, uses on board.

EDIT: Got it fixed! The power cable from the front header, I took it off and now the computer posts and boots. :) What made me think it was that was that you would have to hit the power button a few times to get it to turn on so I figured the cable could be shorting it or something. :)
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
  10. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Sweet. It's great when mysterious problems have easy solutions. :D
  11. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Lol as if something like that would really ever be an issue. I just speak my mind, dude. We are all here either for help, or to give it, and it makes no sense for those on the same team to be at odds.

:toast:
    Chicken Patty says thanks.
  12. Chicken Patty

Thanks Received:
    For now I just put one of the power buttons that came with my high speed tech station since the board on that tech station has power/reset/clear CMOS buttons on the board. I'm sure I can probably find the factory switch for fairly cheap.