1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

need help with a sound card purchase

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by dunnleed08, Sep 1, 2007.

1. dunnleed08 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i have a pretty old gaming rig...which i, quite unwillingly, am unable to upgrade..i do, however, want to get a sound card to enhance gameplay...maybe free the processor up a little....does anybody have a suggestion, as to which would be the cheapest card to accomplish this....i'm broke........preferably with eax 3.0....i don't really know what that is, but i've heard it is great for gameplay......thanks in advance, kyle
  2. Thermopylae_480

Thermopylae_480 New Member

Thanks Received:
    You can get an Audigy SE 7.1 with EAX Advanced HD 3.0 for $32.99. Is that cheap enough?
  3. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
  4. Fiream

Fiream New Member

Thanks Received:
    Or this one:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829120103
    This card has all kind of hacks for it and seems to be pretty highly regarded. I'm using one in a new build and it seems to be doing good so far. Sounds good with Quake III anyway. You have to use the Via supplied drivers rather than the Chaintech version. Picked mine up from Zipzoomfly, $25.00 shipped.
  5. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    Read it... No EAX support :)
  6. DrunkenMafia

Thanks Received:
    this review from newegg would be enough to put me off gettin one man....

"Unstable drivers! Chaintech no longer makes audio cards and their website doesn't even acknowledge that they ever did make audio cards, so don't bother looking for driver support from them. If Chaintech provided a good driver, I would probably be rating this 5 Eggs, but can only give it a 3 because of all the hours I wasted trying different driver versions in hopes of eliminating the 'squeal of death' that often starts at bootup, and other issues. If you aren't an audiophile and don't need SPDIF or have high-definition sound sources, this card is not worth the trouble. If you're just playing regular CD's or MP3's and not upsampling, you will not hear any difference with the much vaunted high-bit-rate 2 channel mode. Also, whenever I switch back to regular 2-channel, I lose the left channel. This can be remedied, as can the 'squeal of death' by disabling/enabling the Envy 24 in Device Manager, but it's just another hassle that makes this card not worth the trouble for me."
  7. Thermopylae_480

Thermopylae_480 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I searched for quite some time for some Chaintech drivers. I never found it for the card I was searching for.
  8. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Chaintek Drivers are available at VIA. The drivers for the CHAINTECH AV-710 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface Sound Cardcard are here;

http://driverscollection.com/?H=Envy24HT-S&By=VIA

:toast:
  9. Sovereign

Sovereign New Member

Thanks Received:
    Maybe so but do your research and google that card. It has gotten high praise from hardware review sites around the net. Also, it does support EAX up to 2.0, at least that is what it is telling me in Battlefield 2. I bought this card awhile back to replace my Auzentech X-Mystique that I bought new and had to sell because I was going broke at the time. AS far as I can tell, it has been an incredible sound card and offers nice sound quality, especialy for the price!!!

I don't think you'll find a non creative card under $50 USD that can compete with the VIA Envy chipset. VIA also maintains up to date XP and Vista Drivers for this and other VIA chipset sound cards so driver issues should never be a problem. They certainly haven't for me and I'm using MCE'05 as well as Vista Ultimate X86 RTM. You can get official VIA drivers @ www.viaarena.com