• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need Help With Bad Flash

System Name Chachamaru-IV | Retro Battlestation
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Intel Pentium II 450MHz
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F Gaming | MSI MS-6116 (Intel 440BX chipset)
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4
Memory 32GB Corsair DDR4-3000 (16-20-20-38) | 512MB PC133 SDRAM
Video Card(s) nVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 FE | 3dfx Voodoo3 3000
Storage 1TB WD_Black SN850 NVME SSD (OS), Toshiba 3TB (Storage), Toshiba 3TB (Steam)
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G5 27" @ 1440p144 & Dell P2312H @ 1080p60
Case SilverStone Seta A1 | Beige box
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-7 (Speakers), Creative Zen Hybrid headset | Sound Blaster AWE64
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750 G2 | 250W ASETEC
Mouse Roccat Kone Air| Microsoft Serial Mouse v2.0A
Keyboard Vortex Race3 | Dell AT102W
Software Microsoft Windows 11 Pro | Microsoft Windows 98SE
Image fail. /facepalm

Well..... when i flashed my 6950 Bios, I used just the modded unlock shaders only XFX Bios, she would not run stable on the stock 1.1V @ 8800mhz, so I increased voltage from 1.1 to 1.15 (a litle less than 6970 stock) and she will now do 910mhz without any noticeable increase in temps (maybe a degree or two). I don't like using 3rd party apps for voltage unless I have no other choice, works for me, I don't bench anymore so a 6970 effectively at 910 is more than I need..... could this not work for you? I didnt even need to do a custom fan curve.

Im actually at 925mgz gpu and 1425mhz memory on the stock voltage stable with only a 30 minute test of furmark, but I did it after a few hours of gaming on those settings. No artifacts etc, and I haven't touched the slider. apparently it voids the warranty. That is good enough for me. The 6970 is a freaking awesome card and has some of the best drivers I have seen for the first attempt. I haven't crashed in any of my games yet, and no other card has ever done that on the first drivers they released. lol
When i tried the asus drivers for a few hours, it kept crashing black ops, so i just switched back to the #2 protected bios and haven't had any problems since.

I am satisfied

zom414

Sorry to resurrect this thread but I'm having the same sort of issue.

I tried to flash my 5870 yesterday so I could unlock the higher settings. It all seemed to go fine but when I restarted I get a blank screen and the monitor goes into power saver mode. I saved a copy of my original bios before I flashed but I cannot get atiflash/atiwinflash to recognise my card. I've tried the unlock rom method and just get the following message:

"No valid adaptor could be found! Video BIOS not updated!"

I'm booting with a 5450 card in the 1st pci-e slot and my 5870 in the second slot. I've tried all the commands on here (and tech power up) for atflash/winflash but still nothing. Does this mean the card is well and truly bricked?

System specs - i7 920 @3.8, C300 SSD, XFX 5870 (hopefully), 6 GB Patriot Viper RAM, 750W Corsair PSU.

vanillaportal

is there a way to change the 2D memory clock in HD6970 bios?

whenever i modify the 2D memory clock value to 1375MHz in BIOS, the card always failed to boot. does anyone know how to do it the right way?

I have the HD6950 and it was flashed to HD6970 bios, and has been working flawlessly.

grassy

System Name Grassy
Processor Core 2 Quad Q9650 @ 4GHz
Motherboard P5Q PRO Turbo
Cooling Water
Memory 4GB G.Skill Black Ed PC2-6400
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 5850 (OC with ASUS 5870 Bios)
Case CM Storm Scout
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster x-fi xtremegamer
Software Win 7 64Bit
I'm wondering if you guys are flashing non reference cards.

I flashed my card today using RBE and win flash to do this worked wicked, I’m running the 5870 ASUS bios on my Sapphire 5850.

If your card doesn’t say ‘AMD’ on the very bottom of the card it isn’t reference, the voltage etc isn’t controlled by the bios so flashing it with another bios wouldn’t work because then it would try control it incorrectly for that card?

Sorry if its incorrect I’ve been kind of reading around about this before I did mine thought I’d try help

zom414

I'm wondering if you guys are flashing non reference cards.

I flashed my card today using RBE and win flash to do this worked wicked, I’m running the 5870 ASUS bios on my Sapphire 5850.

If your card doesn’t say ‘AMD’ on the very bottom of the card it isn’t reference, the voltage etc isn’t controlled by the bios so flashing it with another bios wouldn’t work because then it would try control it incorrectly for that card?

Sorry if its incorrect I’ve been kind of reading around about this before I did mine thought I’d try help

Mine does have "AMD" on the bottom of the card but thanks for the input, every little helps.

zom414

I've found a pci card so I thought I'd give this a go and see if it works. The card pci works on its own but when I add the 5870 it wont boot. I have the Asus P6T Deluxe and can't seem to find anything in the bios that would let me boot from pci. Have I missed an option in the bios? If I can't get this to work it's going in the loft for a couple of weeks and then I'm gonna try a cheeky RMA :)