1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need Help With Deciding On A NEW Router

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by JdPower, Feb 22, 2007.

1. JdPower New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys,

First I don't know anything about routers just how to following directions on setting them up. :D

My microsoft router took a poop on me and I can't fix it. It powers up but it doesn't hold any internet connection to it. I only used the router for my girlfriends computer (wireless) and my Xbox 360 (wireless). The only time I use cat5 cable with the router is if a friend comes over to LAN. I didn't purchase the router it was given to me by my father has a hand me down i guess :laugh: Now looking at all the routers out there I don't know whats good or whats bad? Idiot I guess when it comes to routers...

I need something with a strong wireless signal for gf's computer and the 360, but also a router that won't lag me while playing games on my computer (CSS). Now I have heard D-Link and Linkys are good routers but seem to really can't find any with good reviews (newegg.com). Looking to spend no more then 50-100-120bucks on a quality strong router that will last. Something on newegg since they ship to me in like a day or so.

www.newegg.com

Thank you I appreciate the help.
    J

2. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
    I have a LinkSys (w/ CISCO TRUE firewalling technology, beyond just NAT alone) BEFSX41, & it's nice!

It has 4 ports for sharing connections to the net & can function as a switch too (not just a 'broadcast to everything' hub, but instead sending signal to requesting MAC addresses, directly, which helps SOME in terms of efficiency on a LAN/WAN when multiple nodes are hooked into it - which helps avoid packet collisions/congestion).

It is GOOD stuff!

Easily configured via a web-browser javascript interface...

As far as 'ease of use': I have hooked it up to TimeWarner & CableVision Cablemodem internetting, piece of "plug-N-play" cake easy, & with a BIT of work bridging it into a PPoE connection to a WESTELL DSL modem for Verizon internet...

As far as compatibility w/ software firewalling: NO problem, & I've tested it against Windows native firewall, & ZoneAlarm, & works perfectly.

APK

P.S.=> Read reviews too, but that is my 'word-of-mouth' to you... apk

3. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
  4. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    I have a D-Link DIR-635 its a pretty fancy router with wireless as well. Only thing its missing for myself is the ability to use the USB to network our Printer.

5. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I stick with the Linksys WRT54GL. It is a great little router, never had a problem with it, and the 3rd party firmware support is just amazing.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  6. JdPower New Member

Thanks Received:
    I read that some reviews that the wireless signal wasn't that great... or it would drop

J

7. KennyT772

KennyT772 New Member

Thanks Received:
    <----WRT54G owner. This router just rocks. never drops signal, never needs to be reset, runs cool to.

8. Guttboy

Guttboy New Member

Thanks Received:
    <-----WRT54G owner as well. No issues...run 2 computers hardwire and 2 wirelessly. Pretty easy setup.