1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need help with Intel build.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by wtf8269, Aug 29, 2006.

1. wtf8269

wtf8269 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm considering upgrading to Conroe. First of all, would you guys recommend this, or not? I would like to get a dual core as more programs are becoming dual threaded. Especially on the verge of vista. I was considering at first just getting a 939 x2. However if I have to spend extra money (on top of what I make from selling some of my current parts), it'd be more worth while to buy a Conroe. SO

Which motherboard would you recommend. I have read on DFI-Street that there will eventually be LanPart boards out with Conroe support, so for now I'd just like to get a temperary motherboard. Something in the $50 range. All it needs to do is support SATA RAID 0 and be able to post at stock speeds. Shouldn't be hard.

Next, DDR2 RAM. I have no idea what kind of timings are good for what clocks with DDR2. I just started getting to know what was good with DDR1. So I'm pretty much in the dark about this. I want overclocking ram for sure. 2x1gb.

The CPU I already have picked out, I'll just go with an E6300.

Thanks for helping out an Intel n00bz0rz guys.:)

Oh yeah, anybody want to buy my CPU/MOBO/RAM if this goes through?:D
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2006
  2. drade

drade

Thanks Received:
    Would I reccomend a conroe, Yes I would, Iv'e seen amazing performance with that e6300, and conroes themself..In the new pc magazine that came out this mount they have the "battle of the superchips intel vs amd....Intel just to me seems like its killing amd with the higher end conroes, even some of the lower ends... That's really all I can help, Im an intel guy as many people know that, I know I got a dual core amd, I love it myself, but the conroe seems great... Seems like it would do better in vista as proven in some cases, and just overall is great. AMD still is amazing also!
  3. bcracer220 New Member

Thanks Received:
    clearly theres quite a limited option of Mobo's atm for conroe. what im going to do at least for now is get the asrock vsta motherboard.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813157092

theres also an ASUS one like that but its not as good (has known to have more problems). this board will give u about 85 percent of what a normal intel 965 or 975 would give. and it only oc's the fsb to 292. but the advantage with this board is that its not only cheap but u can upgrade things one at a time. the other board is 90 dollars but its got performance identical to the 975 chipset and has crossfire.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813157096

it doesnt oc amazingly but its alrite. next option is the DS3 and thats nearly double the price. gl with ur build =)
  4. drade

drade

Thanks Received:
    the first board you posted, is agp and pci express? weird?
  5. wtf8269

wtf8269 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmm thanks for the help, but put this on hold for now.

My friend has a 165 he's not exactly happy with, and he's considering selling it. So I told him to let me throw it in my system and see what I could get out of it. If I'm happy with it, I'd trade him my CPU plus some cash. We have the exact same mobo and CPU cooler, so we're going to trade entire motherboards with CPUs & CPU coolers intact lol. We'll see what happens.:)
  6. drade

drade

Thanks Received:
    Like I said before, the 165 is a great cpu, you told me it depends on the stepping for overclocking true, but no matter what hands down the 165 is a great proccie.
  7. wtf8269

wtf8269 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, there's also a CCBBE for sale on DFI-Street. (The GOD of dual core Opty steppings) that I may be able to get.

I don't know. Intel just feels so foreign to me. It gives me that dark, dry, latex glove type feeling. I feel at home with AMD.
  8. drade

drade

Thanks Received:
    Iv'e had that feeling before...intel makes great systems but As I know your way on amd.... An opteron 165 is a great choice...I reccomended that to a client of mine, about a 1.2ghz oc.... Expensive but very fast and great oc'able with good stepping.