1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need Help with measurement's and/or Tips for my antec 900 mod

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding & Electronics' started by EiSFX, Dec 26, 2010.

1. EiSFX

Thanks Received:
    Hello everybody! Since I just got a new Dremel and accessories kit for x-mas. I was wanting to do a little modding to my antec 900 case. But I need some help in one area. I am wanting to flip my power supply around the other way so the fan is facing the bottom of the case sucking cool air in from the bottom. But where I'm stuck is how to get the proper hole location for the fan.

This is my current PSU http://www.raidmax.com/psu/rx_530ss.html

As you can see it has a 135 MM fan

What would be the best possible way to figure out the right location for the hole I need to make for the fan? Any hint or tricks you guys know would greatly appreciated!!

Thxs EiSFX
  2. oily_17

oily_17

Thanks Received:
    I would just take a measurement of the size of the PSU.

Then drill holes in the bottom of the case in line with the PSU, this way it can draw cool air from under the case.
  3. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    PSUs are usually mounted fan down like this, so an exact layout of the hole isn't necessary. The rubber standoffs are the most important part of flipping it.

[​IMG]

If you still think you need to cut a large hole, instead of perforation, then take the cover off your PSU and use it for a template. I wouldn't do it that way, though.
  4. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Go and get a lipstick from your mom or female close to you. rub a bit on the fan guards outer ring. set the PSU in place, the lipstick will transfer giving you the outline;)
  5. jimmyz New Member

Thanks Received:
    Here are some tips in general.

1. Use cardboard to mock stuff up, like for the psu hole cut out a peice matching the PSU fan and top area. Cut out the hole as you want then you can trace the sizes etc straight onto the surface.
    2. Masking tape is great for visualising holes and other items. I cover the area I am going to cut out wioth masking tape. then you can draw directly on the tape. it also helps protect the finish from scratches during drilling/ cutting.
    3. There is no substitute for the right tool. If you need a tool you don't have hit up friends/ relatives etc. It is a great way to share your hobby with people you know as well as getting the best results.