1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need Help With Notebook GPU

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by sandiegoborn32, Sep 22, 2010.

1. sandiegoborn32

sandiegoborn32 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys, I decided to downgrade my GPU in my ASUS G50 VT-X5 because I wanted to get more battery life out of it. I downgraded from an Nvidia 9800m GS to an Nvidia 9300m GS. The difference in power consumption between the two is big. The 9800m GS gulps down a whopping 60 wats of power while the 9300m GS sips down a mere 13 watts. I assumed the power consumption difference would provide a huge improvement on battery life for my notebook, so I purchased a 9300m GS from Ebay that was pulled out of an ASUS X83VB-X2 and just recieved it today. I pulled the 9800m GS out of the MXM slot on the motherboard and popped in the 9300m GS. When I powered on the notebook, the LCD screen powered on, but the BIOS did not post. I have no idea why it didn't post. I assumed the 9300m GS is compatible with this motherboard, because it is an MXM GPU and it does physically fit into the MXM slot on the motherboard. The only thing I can assume is that the GPU is dead, but I'm truly not sure about this. If anyone can help me with this, I would REALLY appreciate it.

Attached Files:

2. mudkip

mudkip

Thanks Received:
    Send a mail to asus and ask them to add 9300M GS support in their bios.
    I guess your mobo doesn't recognize the 9300M GS.

sandiegoborn32 says thanks.
  3. wolf

wolf Performance Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    what mudkip said, plus like you think it might be dead... or just somehow incompatible, even though the slot is the same

sandiegoborn32 says thanks.
  4. sandiegoborn32

Thanks Received:
    Yeah that could also be the main culprit. Thanks for your input.

I don't see how it would be physically incompatible with the slot on my motherboard. They are both have an MXM interface, and they both fit into the motherboard's slot perfectly. Should I post a picture of the 9300m GS placed in the motherboard slot?

Thanks for your guys' help. I REALLY appreicate it. I just hit the "Thanks" button on both of your guys' posts.

5. mudkip

mudkip

Thanks Received:
    The point isn't that the 9300M GS isn't physically incompatible with the slot on your motherboard ,but that other components can be. E.g. your bios and etc

6. sandiegoborn32

Thanks Received:
    Can I change the bios from the ASUS G50VT-X5 bios to the ASUS X83VB-X2 bios so that I have a bios that supports the 9300m GS?

And if that doesn't work, could you suggest any other graphics cards that are energy efficient, AND compatible with my notebook?

Thanks in advance...