1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

need help with old laptop

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by KainXS, Jun 20, 2010.

1. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    I have an old laptop and need help with it

its a HP ZV5000
    3.2Ghz Pentium 4
    128MB Radeon 9600
    2GB DDR 333

about a year ago the motherboard went bad and stopped powering on so I replaced it, the original board had the specs

2.8Ghz Celeron
    Radeon 9000
    768MB DDR 333

so about 3 months ago I have a problem with the AC, the AC Adapter just quit and stopped working correctly causing the PC to shutdown randomly so I replaced it, but I replaced it with a really cheap generic one(got it for 5 bucks off ebay), and that generic one started doing the same thing in like 3 days(sometimes it will cut off and sometimes it won't). So I am sitting wondering what the problem could be, I have taken this thing tottally apart many times and see nothing wrong, then I noticed that the AC Adapter I have is only 120 watts, and there are only 3 AC adapters for this series, and the motherboard I replaced the old one with is pretty much the highest end board for the ZV/ZX5000 series

120-W, PFC
    120-W, non-PFC
    135-W, PFC

So I wonder could this motherboard I replaced the old crappy one with require the 135 watt adapter instead of the 120 watt one and could it have burned out my old one because it couldn't supply enough power, I don't think its the motherboard, I mean the 9600 in it overclocks 250mhz(pretty damn amazing) I know its old but I like it.
  2. viczulis

viczulis New Member

Thanks Received:
    Did you have to solder the DC Power Jack ? The first one I did three days later or so started giving me problems. I desoldered cleaned with alcohol and resoldered and its been working every since. And it was a 3.00 e-bay one.:)
  3. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    nope
  4. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    Is the original board the one with the Celeron and the newer one (and the actual) the one with the Pentium 4?

The Pentium 4 in older laptop were huge power consumers and heated a lot. This because they were roughly the same as their desktop counterparts.
    So my guess is: either it needs the 135W (PFC or non-PFC) or that charger you mentioned is just plain rubbish and it's failing on you.
    Getting cheap items for power supplies is the worse thing to do. It puts you entire system at risk. Insufficient power or abnormal supply can (or most likely will) damage the components and render the computer unusable or even reduce it to trash.

I can tell you, from personal experience, that cheap power supplies are never a good or wise investment. I've had cheap cell-phone chargers that went up in smoke after two uses, computer PSUs that couldn't handle 50% of it's maximum wattage and either the capacitors or the voltage regulators exploded and laptop chargers that almost melted with overheating due to poor electrical build/design/parts.

Get a good charger, but first try to borrow a 135W (it could be hard, mostly now there are only 120W max, usually there are 90W) and see if the current problem persists.
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  5. _Zod_ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Look up the specs of the Laptop that used the new board you have to see what size power supply you should be using.
  6. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    So I just got a genuine AC adapter and its worst than the fake one, I looked on HP's own site and it has all negative reviews, this sucks, this really sucks.

I thought either it would
    A:Not work
    B:Work but do the same thing:
    C:Work fine

but I never thought that the real thing would be worst than a fake, they discontinued the one I had first and put this piece of crap in its place.
  7. viczulis

viczulis New Member

Thanks Received:
    Can you tell if the jack you plug your cord into is loose ? Just makes me wonder if your dc jack on motherboard went bad on you. Its common with laptops.
  8. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    I don't even think thats possible, with the fake adapter(in really really bad shape), the laptop stays on doing prime95 for over 3 hours, with this new adapter, I let it cool down, it shuts off in 3 minutes, its like this genuine adapter is overheating or something, the DC jack isn't loose, I even tried to move it and looked at how its soldered, the way its soldered it cannot move(trust me)

I looked around on HP's site and people say some chip in the genuine PSU's are always going bad, but this was supposed to be new, but . . . . it had scratches on the bottom so I know its not new, someone seems to have sent this one back to hp and swapped out the insides if I had to guess and HP reshelved it, it really, really pisses me off because now I have to pay to send it back.
  9. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    Seriously just spend the $20 and get a certified one from HP, problem solved.

Thats if there is not something else going on here we dont know about, it could be something else hence the problems with 2 different chargers. I bought my wife a cheap replace,ent off ebay for her c ompaq and touchwood it does the trick nicely, though you never can tell :eek:
  10. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    I bought this one from HP

in the process of a RMA right now