1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need help with Windows install (RAID problem)

Discussion in 'Storage' started by The Witcher, Sep 30, 2009.

1. The Witcher New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi

I just got my two new WD Caviar Black 640GB and connected everything as it should be, I reached the Windows Installing where am having problems.

First I've to install the RAID controllers, when I do so I can see my drive so every time I finish setting up the partitions and clicking NEXT to proceed to the installation I get this message instead :

"Windows could not determine if this computer contains a valid system volume"

also I takes like 40 minutes every time I try to install the OS because when I hit NEXT, I've to wait for 10 minutes or so then I will go to the next page, it's odd.

My motherboard is GA-P45-UD3R
    OS : tried installing both Vista Ultimate 64bit and Home 32bit but it won't install.

By the way, this is my first time to use dual Hard disks and RAID0 so take it easy on me :ohwell:

Thanks in advance.
  2. Meow9000 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Setting up raid is easy, all you needs is the correct drivers x32 or x64. Boot from the windows cd, when you get to the screen to create/format your hard drive there should be a "load drivers" button click that, put your usb/cd in, select them all and hit next.

Dont forget to switch the storage mode in the BIOS to Raid first. Then you will have to build the array. Should get a prompt to hit F10. Your motherboard manual should explain the options in this area.

Hope that helps,
  3. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    Of the few times I've had a "slow" Vista install like yours it's because the drive was malfunctioning (but not completely dead).

I'd unplug/replug the SATA cables, clear the RAID and rebuild, then try to install again. If that doesn't help, it very well could be the drive.
  4. DanTheBanjoman SeƱor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    I had/have the same problem with my onboard controller and 2 SSD's. I just used another controller and it all worked fine. Couldn't be bothered to solve the issue so far though, though I should do so. Perhaps using a newer driver or updating the BIOS helps.
    Either way, I'm pretty sure the issue is controller related, be it the firmware, drivers or whatever.
  5. The Witcher New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm pretty sure that I installed the controllers and setup the BIOS right, I got the blue screen of death two times with a newly Hard drives which is a bit odd at least for me.

Could it be possible that the SATA2 cabals are damaged ? because I had a hard time trying to unplug one of them because it was stuck and I had to pull it with brute force.
  6. Meow9000 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Probably if you had to remove it with force, you have damaged the connection in someway.
  7. The Witcher New Member

Thanks Received:
    But I got the same error message even before I tried to unplug the cabals.
  8. The Witcher New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok now I'm 100% sure that the problems are from the drivers or the cabals because everything works alright except for the installation, I just hope that the hard disks are not damaged, I just bought them, and since I shipped them overseas I won't be able to return them :(