1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

need help with wired network

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by vinnieg515, Oct 23, 2008.

1. vinnieg515 New Member

Thanks Received:
    hi...my brother has a wired network with a dlink router...he has 2 desktop computers hooked up...this is his problem...when one computer logs on they can surf the net with no problems but when the second computer logs on, the internet connection shuts down for about 2 minutes then comes back on automatically...just wondering what the issue here could be..any help would be appreciated..thanks
  2. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    Probably the router. I have never had any luck with Dlink. Try getting a different router and see if it works.
  3. vinnieg515 New Member

Thanks Received:
    hi..im thinking its a router problem too..it is a few years old..thought i would post in case anyone had a similar issue...thanks for your response
  4. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    I recommend a Linksys router. WRT54G.
  5. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    its possible the router is working as a modem, and the PC's are fighting for internet IP addresses.

Check to see if DHCP is enabled in the router.
  6. vinnieg515 New Member

Thanks Received:
    hi..i will check to see if the DHCP is enabled..cant do it till tomorrow though...thanks for your help i greatly apprciate it
  7. vinnieg515 New Member

Thanks Received:
    hi. the DHCP was already enabled so that wasnt the problem..my brother decided to buy a new router and everything works ok..i would like to thank the people that replied..thanks..vinnie
  8. Grimskull New Member

Thanks Received:
    make sure the two PCs are getting their IP addresses automatically. also check what IP addresses they have. start > run > cmd > enter > ipconfig /all look for the LAN conenction and check what the IP addresses are ... should be something like 192.168.1.?? with a subnet of 255.255.255.0. then check to see what the default gateway is.. it should be the ip address of the router.

Also check your firewall settings on the PC's. you could also do a firmware upgrade of the dlink router.

EDIT: just read your last post there... (after all my typing.... jeez.... :laugh::roll:) glad its working!
  9. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    +2

Open the network icon up select support tab and highlight all that info and copy paste it to a notpad close that window.

Select the General tab and click properties
    Double click were it says internet protocol

IP address 192.168.1.xxx ( Change the xx to what numbers you want from 1-255
    Subnet Mask this will typically fill it self in when selected.
    Default Gateway 192.168.1.1 will likley work if router is on it's defaults.

For DNS look at the saved info in notpad that we copied for DNS info.