1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need helping removing the reflective film from my 2560x1440 QH-270 Lite, not tempered

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Phusius, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    As topic says, trying to find a way to remove the reflective film that is on the QH-270 Lite, it is not tempered glass, so the only youtube video I found on it I don't think will work.

I hate any kind of reflection is the reason I am doing this.

Thoughts?
  2. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    Anyone? Just to early in the morning I guess. :/
  3. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    24 hours between bumps. ;)
  4. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    piss on it all. just close the damn topic.
  5. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Why? It would be interesting if it's possible.
  6. purecain

purecain

Thanks Received:
    can you find a break down manual... try pulling it to pieces and have a look at the panel...

you could post your break down on here if one doesnt exist as it would be a great help to the community....

i cant find anything on it iether... good luck!!!
  7. Jeffredo

Jeffredo

Thanks Received:
    What if you removed it and the LCD screen is as reflective as the glossy film?
  8. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It cannot be removed. It is a coating that extends beyond the metal frame of the LCD panel itself.
    Jeffredo says thanks.
  9. Jeffredo

Jeffredo

Thanks Received:
    Basically, if you want glossy or matte buy the monitor that way. If you're not sure, find one you can look at in person instead of eBay.
  10. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Sounds very dangerous even if you could separately remove the glass before taking the film off.

A better solution may just be adjusting your room lighting so there are no lights behind you. One trick HT buffs use, which I employed myself, is to buy a small fluorescent light and put it behind the display.

I merely went to Lowes and picked up their 18" under cabinet fixture and bulb set (about $16). It comes with a "Dayglow" (5000k) bulb. The brighter the light, the more accurate it shows colors. There are 6k bulbs you can get in T5 18", but fairly expensive and can be harder to get down to the desired light output.

I have mine set on top of a block of wood behind my TV facing toward the wall. I then experimented with various amounts of electrical tape strips on the light's lens along with a bent piece of cardboard taped on the fixture like a hood to keep the light confined to the desired area around the TV.

My fixture is the hardwire type without cord, so I bought an extension cord and cheap metal grommet as well as a heavy duty in line rocker switch. All total it was around $20-$25 range I think. I cut the socket end off the ext cord, wired it to the lamp, and put the inline switch near the outlet I plug it into a few inches from the plug. It's only a few feet away from my PC chair. I can flick it on and off pretty easily.

The way I have mine dialed in it's great for horror movies and games that are really dark, but you can tailor any amount of light output you want. There's also a company that sells diffuser sleeves with a black dot matrix gradient for fluorescent tubes that vary light output by what position you turn them to.
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  11. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    It's funny you brought up the "Backlighting" I was just snooping around at OCUK at their 27" IPS's and I saw THIS
  12. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    I'm considering upgrading to an 8' clear LED rope light for my 32" TV. I see lots of people talk about attaching them to the back of their TVs anymore. Usually with tape or those stick on wall hooks. I have an odd situation where the end of my living room is a corner vs a flat wall, so it's hard to get the lighting even with the 18" fixture I have.

They sell them in 6' too, which would probably be more appropriate for a 24"-27" display.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000REGEFO/?tag=tec06d-20
  13. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    I seen it warn off before always wondered if enough time was applied if Isopropyl would work and that is safe with none gloss LCD's.

Anyways i say he be better of selling it and buying a none gloss.
  14. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
  15. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    Well that is more of an Ambilight system. The amBX Kit's were goin all out. Fans, Lights, Rumble Packs. It's all PHillips techniolgy.

Anyway It's not a "Disco light" thing were talking about here It's Bias Lighting helps with eye strain. But Ambilight was a Biias Lighting system just overdone