1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need laptop help!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Z52, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Z52 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello Everyone,

My laptop died yesterday. I turned it on and it worked for 2 minutes then it turned off. I am not very experienced with laptop issues so need some help!

Check:
    - AC Adapter is working (Light goes on on the adapter)
    - When I plug it in, the LED light front of the laptop doesn't light up.

Laptop Information:
    HP Pavilion ZD8205US
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...kId=101&prodSeriesId=466660&prodTypeId=321957

Please help!

Thank you

Z52
  2. Z52 New Member

Thanks Received:
    No one can help me? :(
  3. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    Try removing the battery and pressing and holding the power key for 10 seconds.

Replace the battery and reconnect the power supply. If it doesn't light up try wiggling the connection too see if it's a connection issue.
    Hope that helps.
  4. Z52 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't have a battery. I've been using the laptop without battery for last 4 years.

Any other hardware problem that can relate to the issue?
  5. CJCerny

CJCerny

Thanks Received:
    Borrow a voltage meter from someone and measure the voltage the power supply is putting out and compare it to what is stated on the power supply. If your readings are close to what the power supply is rated to for, chances are that you've blown a capacitor or IC somewhere in the power regulation circuitry of your laptop, which means you would likely need to purchase a new motherboard for that laptop. Since that usually isn't cost effective, purchasing a new laptop is probably a better option than repairing the one you have now.
    Z52 says thanks.
  6. insane 360

insane 360

Thanks Received:
    i would say its the power supply plug (part that plugs into the laptop) a lot of laptops have this issue, when you use it on anything but a desk it will bend and flex that connector causing little shorts and finally a break in the wires, the brick will still light up but the laptop will not charge/turn on.

i have to fix dell bricks all the time, i'm sure your hp isn't any different, if you can find a friend or someone with the same type of power brick and give it a try, thats the cheapest test if you don't have a voltage meter
    Z52 says thanks.
  7. Z52 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank you very much for your help.
  8. Iceni

Thanks Received: