1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need major help

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by CrAsHnBuRnXp, Jan 21, 2008.

1. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    So I am in the process of throwing my A64 rig back together but I am having major CPU cooling issues. The first time I thought I broke the seal between the CPU and HSF and reapplied AS5. The temps were fine sitting idle at 39-40C. However when I was on Windows Update (of all places) the temp would quickly shoot up to 75C! Then my computer would sound off an alarm. I have reapplied AS5 three times already and I still overheat.

Need this resolved ASAP and I need your suggestions to help me out.

Thanks in advance.

Crash

2. SK-1

SK-1

Thanks Received:
    Was there a thermal PAD in there to begin with?
    Sometimes paste will not compensate if there is a small gap where an actual thermal pad was.

3. R^ven

R^ven New Member

Thanks Received:
    What heatsink and fan are you using?

You may be applying the thermal grease too thickly or thinly

4. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    try your stock heatsink, some rare cases the heatpipe coolers can develope a leak where the gas escapes thereby eliminating its ability to remove the heat. put you finger to the base of your cooler and if its hot and the cooler isnt warm then the heat is not being removed.

5. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    No. I dont use teh factory paste and this processor is a few years old. Just came out of my dad's old rig actually.

Stock HSF with stock speeds.

I am using a pea size amount.

It is the stock HSF.

6. accordpower99 New Member

Thanks Received:
    clean off the dust between the heatsink fins. if you have the air duster or air compressor or even vacuum it all out. just my 2 cents. i had a dell with an intel do the same thing. after i did that never had problem since.

7. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Tis clean.

8. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    he's overheating too fast to be dust related.

my thoughts:

IHS has seperated

psu or motherboard is over volting the cpu

use razor blade to check level surface of heatsink and cpu

if all else is ok then cpu is defective - replace cpu

9. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    I took out the CPU (as if I didnt have a choice because when I pulled the HSF off the CPU came with it :wtf:)

Anyway, I got looking around the IHS of the CPU and it looked as though it was detached a bit. I have another 3200+ venice that i tossed in and with Windows update again, its at 63C right now. :wtf:

Maybe its the case? There are only two fans,one on the inside that is pretty useless (front) as it has no ventilation for cool air, and a rear fan that is for exhaust. Im thinking I may just use a different case and see if that solves it.

10. True. This happens to me a lot (have stock AMD cooler today). And I do exactly like you say - I vacuum the heatsink fins and then just to be sure I take a brush used to clean guns with and run it carefully between the fins. From having dust and a temp almost @ 35C It goes down to around 28 C (I'm serious, it really does).

11. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    The HSF is next to spotless. If it could sparkle, it would.

I am still having heat issues. The only thing I can think of is the cooling in general.

12. accordpower99 New Member

Thanks Received:
    wheather you have the side panel or not does it make a difference? also if you have a portable fan blow it on there and see if anything improves. at least you can diagnosis your airflow if its the problem.

13. ntdouglas

ntdouglas New Member

Thanks Received:
    I thought you were using that diamond stuff? And if your using as5 and putting a drop the size of pea, thats 15-20 times too much. About the size of a grain of rice.

14. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    I save the diamond stuff for my rigs. :)

Ill tell you one thing about that diamond paste, its hard as hell to get the CPU and HSF cleaned when you have used that stuff.

I use AS5 for the other rigs that I am trying to sell. With all these reapplications that Im doing with this computer, im running very low on AS5. Almost out.

I use no more than what I used to with AS5.

15. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    With the side panel on and off it doesnt seem to make a difference. I dont have a small portable fan, but I will see what I can do. If anything.

16. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Could it be your Bios/MB misreading your temps? Do you have a temp diode you could verify with? What programs you using for temps?

You should've noticed at least a couple of degrees with the side off...even in a low flow situation (one small exhaust, one @ intake with really no venting, just a mount bracket) I noticed around 2-3C drop in temps almost across the board.

Hope you get it figured out! :toast:

17. EddxPT New Member

Thanks Received:
    Can u check the voltage on the CPU, trough the motherboard readings or CPU-Z once on windows ?? How old is the motherboard ? also check for leakage in any capacitor on the motherboard, specially on the CPU socket surrounding areas.

If u haven't done it already, try a different PSU, although if the motherboard is old it is probably a damaged mosfet on the motherboard in the power circuitry that feeds the CPU, would advise you to test the CPU in another motherboard, or even replace the motherboard right away, has it is rather unlikely for two CPU's to start showing the same symptoms at the same time.

18. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Dunno. The mobo was reading temps fine a month ago. Then again it was in a different case that had an 80MM intake fan on teh side panel. Maybe that has something to do with it? And I dont have a temp diode. :(

Im using BIOS and Everest Home Premium. Those seem to do quite well.

I really need to get it figured out because the guy that I work with is getting pretty damn close to getting the money to buy this thing and I cant get the CPU heat sorted. The money I was getting for that computer, I was going to buy my Q9450.

19. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Ill unplug my computer here and give CPUz a go. I will also check capacitors. The motherboard is a few years old. Its still an AGP board. Abit AV8 I believe. Cant really find another AGP board and Im not about to buy a used one. And I cant buy a PCIe board as I dont have a spare PCIe video card. And even if I did, it would up the price.

Ill see if I cant find another PSU. I know I have one around here somewhere. Will 425 watt's be enough for a single core Athlon 64 with 2GB ram and a 6800GS (AGP)?

This is a socket 939 system.

20. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    if two CPU's give the same overheating, no matter the grease its one of two things.

The heatsink is not making good contact (make sure pressing it down is spreading the grease - if the grease isnt spreading evenly, the cooler isnt touching)

#2 is that the motherboard is giving the wrong voltages. reset all voltages/overclocking settings to auto in the bios.

21. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Heres the CPUz with a shot of Everest's temps.

The capacitors seem fine too.
    [​IMG]

22. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    this doesnt answer the voltages, you'll need to check those in the bios.

38c is fine for an idle, and while it says 1.44v no one ever trusts software for CPU voltages :)

23. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    shouldnt it read 1.3v core?

24. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    1.4V's is stock for that core.

25. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    True, it doesnt answer the voltage, but it gives you and idea of what Im working with along with the Vcore. :)