1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

need new cable modem/router

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by Darkgundam111, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Darkgundam111 New Member

Thanks Received:
    So I recently got time warner cable and the box they provide is crappy lol. So i'm looking for a good cable modem with wifi. budget is roughly $100-$150. the internet speed plan that I have is 50Mbps.
  2. Konceptz

Konceptz

Thanks Received:
    I'd recommend a Motorola SB modem and a Asus wireless router. RT-n66u or RT-n56u.
  3. jgunning

jgunning

Thanks Received:
    http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/?model=TL-WDR3600

Check that out. I recommend it, cheap and plenty of bang for your buck.I bought mine for $110 =)

:toast:
  4. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    How big is your house?

If you got a very large one or have tricky walls n stuff Amped Wireless makes high power wifi stuff that has awesome coverage. R20000G (around 150-170 depending on the place) if you can afford it or just get the R10000G (100-120 some USD).

I have the R10000 and it's really good.
  5. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    What ever router you end up getting, make sure it is one supported by Open, DD-WRT, or Tomato. That way, later down the road if you find that the router you bought doesn't cover the entire house with Wi-Fi, you could extend your wireless using the old router if you got a new one.

-- Stop reading here if you don't want to read a story. -- :)

For the longest time I had two routers and basically the only wireless traffic was that over a wireless network bridge which was never computer-to-computer traffic inside my own network. The modem, router, and two rigs were on one end, and the TV, Blu-Ray player, Xbox, and a cruncher were on the other end of the wireless network bridge. That way I didn't need a wireless adapter for all of my entertainment devices and I could just use an old wireless router I had sitting around, which is now unfortunately dead, so it isn't setup like that anymore, but it was definitely the preferred setup for my network. The only downfall was if the wifi channel ever became a hostile environment it would be a little harder to stream 1080p over the network, but that could also have been attributed to the router I was using as it was acting up before it died anyways.
  6. Raw

Raw

Thanks Received:
    SBG6580 is the one you want to take a look at

Motorola SURFboard Gateway SBG6580 DOCSIS 3.0 Wireless Cable Modem is the one you want to take a look at.

:toast:
    Aquinus says thanks.
  7. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    +1: I've used one of these. Very quick and stable. It's nice if you want a simple network that just works.
    Raw says thanks.