1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need new CPU fan, which one should I pick (list).

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by SaiZo, Jun 17, 2011.

1. SaiZo

SaiZo

Thanks Received:
    Hi
    Ok, I need a new cpu fan, this one supplied by AMD is good, but not good enough.
    So.. I have created a list with fans I can buy at the local store (and afford right now):

1. Alpenföhn Brocken
    2. Antec Kuhler H2O 620 (can get it about $10 cheaper if I help them with some stuff)
    3. Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME
    4. Corsair A50
    5. Corsair A70
    6. Zalman CNPS10X Performa
    7. XIGMATEK Red Scorpion S1283

Ok, this is what I want to know: Select a fan you consider is good, and give a reason why I should buy it (do not need to know how it looks, more of how it handles heat).

Also - what you need to know: On a warm day, the working room can reach a temperature of around 35c (40c max, some days), the case then reaches around 40c, and the CPU temperature will be around 30~38 / 39c.

I ask you this because, if i go and buy a fan, the guy selling it just wants to earn money, does not actually care if the noise level is high or low or if it performs well.
    The noice can be somewhat loud, not too loud. I have heard the AMD fan spinning at almost 5000RPM, and that was rather much..

I need to know if anyone has any experience in the brands themself. Also the Antec is a closed watercooler, but I have heard that one guy bought the Corsair Hydro H60, and was dissapointed (so they do not sell just that one at the store).

Ok, take your time, no hurry, just be honest in "buy this fan", and have a great weekend.

2. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    Same performance as the H50, but way quieter. He's most probably "disappointed" because he has too high expectations. If he wanted way cooler temps, he should have gone with an actual watercooling setup or the "bigger guns" of the closed loop watercoolers.

The choice is a "no contest" actually, get the Antec Kuhler H2O 620. And no where in your post did you mention aesthetics, which would be the only "advantage" most of the other choices have, having LED fans and/or good looks.

The Alpenföhn Brocken is good for its price however. But if you really prioritize temps then go with the Antec.

SaiZo says thanks.
  3. SaiZo

SaiZo

Thanks Received:
    I only want performance, don't actually care if it looks like a piece of crap the cat dragged in. The fan installed right now - not the performance I expected.

4. twilyth Guest

I have a hydro 70 and a few older 1283's. Hydro is definitely superior. Since the Antec looks like the same design and also has a copper cold plate, that's probably a toss up. Although with the 70 you do get 2 fans for some push-pull on the radiator.

5. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    Scythe Gentle Typhoon 5400 rpm.

You can fan control it (by modding it or getting a molex to 3 pin adapter), @ 5v thing is quiet as a sleeping baby, at full blast, it will dispell tons of wattage and even the evil spirits away from your radiator :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlDv0XL5bv8

And its not a thick fan. You just need a fan controller that can cater above 1 amp. Otherwise, you wont be getting that 5400rpm since your capped.

I have one lying around, and thing really is strong at 5400rpm..

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
    SaiZo says thanks.