1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need new phone...and MP3 player.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ex_reven, Apr 8, 2008.

1. ex_reven New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yesterday I was walking on an overpass in the rain when my old second generation Ipod mini knocked into my leg while I was carrying it, sending it flying off the bridge far below where it eventually landed (and partially exploded) before settling into a puddle.

So I guess I need a new MP3 player :D

Im also in need for a new phone, since my current one is being a bitch by dieing on me as soon as i finish making a call. (Motorola V3 first generation = piece of shit).

Anywho, I figured that I might as well get both at once. So im looking for suggestions for a replacement for either one.

I was thinking of getting an Iphone as that would sort of kill two birds in one stone, but im wary of the costs.

Id like a sexy phone and mp3 player, minimum 8 gigs, possibly with video capability. Internet via WIFI would be pretty awesome too...

So can anyone offer me any suggestions around this point?

I was looking at the Iphone and the Samsung F700 which is approx $650. Expensive yes, but mp3 players of 8gb capacity are about half that price anyway.

Help me?
  2. Snipe343

Snipe343

Thanks Received:
    zunes good, or you can get another ipod for an mp3 player,iphone is probably the best bet it depeneds what you want,

Or you could get an iphone and then a ipod touch XD ::roll::
    ex_reven says thanks.
  3. Ripper3

Ripper3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    N95 8GB is a good choice too, but I'm not sure if you have it down in Oz. I believe the US has only had it for a few months, I know the UK has had it for a while now. Looks like a good phone, good feature set and 8GB on-board.
    Might also want to check out Sony Ericson's range of phones, they've some pretty nice looking high-end stuff, with large capacities on-board, touchscreens with a keypad, etc.

Personally, I'd buy a seperate phone and MP3 player, I'm using a Samsung E840 and an iriver Clix 2. Good setup, better than compromising, since my phone only takes upto 2Gig microSD cards.
    ex_reven says thanks.
  4. ZenZimZaliben

ZenZimZaliben

Thanks Received:
    ex_reven says thanks.
  5. Ehstii New Member

Thanks Received:
    if you get the iphone, wait until the next generation comes out.

otherwise in 6 months you'll be stuck with a phone that doesn't work.
    the first gen iphone have a life expectancy of only 6 months.

i have an iTouch i got for free and its awesome. and soon ill be getting an iPhone for free to play around with. apparently you can do a little modding on it and somehow get it on verizons cellular frequency or something.

iPhones are nice, and the prices are dropping, so they are starting to become worth it. just wait a little bit for the 2nd gen.
    ex_reven says thanks.
  6. ex_reven New Member

Thanks Received:
    Your probably right about the separate devices. Battery life might become a problem...

Im liking the Ipod touch though...very nice.
    Lets assume for the moment that Im getting two separate devices.

As for the iriver, its decently priced. I was keen on wireless g access tho.

Just checked out the samsung...thats quite a nice looking phone. I like the buttons too. I despise phones with miniscule buttons.
  7. ex_reven New Member

Thanks Received:
    Those are CDMA phones though. We only have GSM. (or thats what i just read on a website anyway - im not up on the phone network...:()

EDIT - Apologies...just found this, which proves what I read was innaccurate.
    http://www.amta.org.au/default.asp?Page=142
  8. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    We were in almost the same predicament a few months ago, reven. I was suggesting the Zune to my wife but she wanted the Ipod Nano 8GB. We ended up buying a Samsung BlackJack II and the Nano.

You were requesting WiFi access though, I'm pretty sure a Nokia N95 has WiFi access then you can get your choice of new MP3 player.
    ex_reven says thanks.
  9. vivanco

vivanco New Member

Thanks Received:
    n81 8gb, excellent sound quality, i have this phone, i didnt want to buy a mp3 player + phone ( has wifi ) so i bought = n81 8gb
    ex_reven and JrRacinFan say thanks.
  10. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
    Thats the phone I was thinking of!!!!
  11. ex_reven New Member

Thanks Received:
    N95 is $600 over here. And thats just the 1 gig model.
    I really wasnt looking to spend that much on the phone. The iphone would be the better option at only $40 more for 8 gigs. (Not that i want to get it, just saying that the n95 isnt really a competitive option over here at least). Although my dad and sister have one.

Assuming I wanted to spend $600 total, I could get the 8 gig ipod touch with wifi and then have $200 left to spend on the phone. Which is just about enough to get that samsung E840 previously mentioned.
  12. ex_reven New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thats a very nice option youve presented me with :).
    vivanco says thanks.
  13. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I didn't realize it was that much there. Sorry.

Go with those that were mentioned. Seems pretty cool.
  14. ex_reven New Member

Thanks Received:
    So its between:

Ipod Touch + Samsung E840 = $628
    or
    Nokia N81 8 gb $529

The question is, when i search for the n81 they advertise both the standard n81 and unlocked versions for like $100 more. Does this mean i need to buy an unlocked version?

Whats the deal with certain phones and being locked to a carrier and are they all able to be unlocked?
  15. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    Any phone that has a 3.5mm audio jack, and a memory slot should do. Most phones these days do have mp3 play back. Only issue is the storage capacity. Getting some thing with 8GB will be pricey. I am personally eye-balling the motorola motorokr e6...and it takes cheap full-sized SD cards, but it is limited to 4gb non-hd (unless some one makes a 8gb non-hd, or perhaps a future firmware upgrade, or a patch...it does run linux after all).

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2849204&CatId=1809
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2008
  16. intel igent

intel igent New Member

Thanks Received:
    blackberry pearl?
  17. Ehstii New Member

Thanks Received:
  18. ex_reven New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hm, looks decent. But no wireless capability?

Buttons too small :(, but nice.
    The majority of stuff Ive looked at is touch screen, because it maximises screen area, which Is what id like. I hate small screens/buttons.
  19. ex_reven New Member

Thanks Received:
  20. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    My friend has a Creative Zen Stone + and its really cool. Im picking one up cause my Iriver T30 is old and sucks lol
  21. ex_reven New Member

Thanks Received:
    Too small.

Does anyone know of any phones with slide out keyboards?
    Id go for that over the Ipod touch if if did.

At the moment im still leaning toward the touch because of the larger screen.
  22. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    If you're on anything that has HTC phones, they rock. My XV6800 (Titan 100) rules! Slapped a 4GB MicroSD card in there and it's got everything I need!

[​IMG]

Read up the specs. MicroSDHC, Wifi, BT, the NICEST phone keyboard i've seen, big touchscreen...it's amazing. Powerful, too.
  23. ex_reven New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thats awsome! I want it!
    *Searches for price*
  24. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    +1

All Linux based Motorolas rock. I've owned them all except the E6, currently on a Z6.

All take up to 4Gb, and if you are dead set on WiFi (on an MP3 Player? :confused:) wait for the Z6w which has built in WiFi :)
  25. ex_reven New Member

Thanks Received:
    Im not dead set on wifi on the mp3, its just the fact that the ipod touch so far has the biggest screen of the lot. Making it the most suitable for web browsing on.

Btw I couldnt find that exact HTC model. The ones I did find were like $700 :(