1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need New PSU. Corsair or Cougar?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Sensi Karate, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Sensi Karate

Sensi Karate New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well I posted about a month ago that I had got a ATI 6870 and it didn't work. I thought it was either my PSU or my Motherboard and I believe after seeing most people being able to use the 6xxx on my motherboard that it must be my PSU (i've tried all drivers, different PCI-E slots, and the old jibber that most people will). Found my PSU sparking whenever I turned off directly from my switch and I can see some slight melting (not a good sign) inside the xstream powersupply.

I got around $150 AUS to spend and I'm looking at Corsair and Cougar because of their reasonable prices.

I need a PSU that can power a 6870 EFFECTIVELY with all the double PCI-E splitters that come with it and also if I want future crossfire the 6870 I want effecient powersupply for that.

In my price range are currently the Corsair TX750 750W which is known as like the best PSU brand around and most stable. It looks like an excellent buy, even without modular (which doesnt concern me that much, just want the bloody card to run.)

And then I'm also looking at the Cougar CMX 700 which was released a little while ago and hasn't recieved much spotlight. I cant find many reviews or discussion on the Cougar CMX 700 but the brand doesn't have a 100% perfection background like Corsair, but the chips of information on this series seems to be good. Other then it being modular and looking damn good, it seems to be fairly stable and reasonable for it price ($20 cheaper then the Corsair 750w).

So which one or is there another in my price range?

I use umart.com.au/ btw.

2. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    For a $20 difference, I would go for the Corsair in a heartbeat. If it were a $50 different, I would consider comparing the two.

Sensi Karate says thanks.
  3. Sensi Karate

Sensi Karate New Member

Thanks Received:
    Why exactly? Is Corsair THAT good that its a must buy for PSU?

4. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    Corsair PSUs are my personal favorite, right behind Enermax. A quality PSU is the most important component in any higher-end build. That's right, more important than a good CPU, mobo, you name it. Corsair's track record has been one of the best, save for the Builder series (it had to happen sometime). For $20, why not get the well-known brand that's also backed by a 5 year warranty? I doubt the Cougar can match that.

5. Sensi Karate

Sensi Karate New Member

Thanks Received:
    But is the TX series as good as people make it out to be?

6. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    Yes.

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready...
    Feedback tab.

5 eggs: 1,652
    4 eggs: 214
    3 eggs: 50
    2 eggs: 38
    1 egg: 137

Looks like most of the 1 egg reviews were from people receiving DOA units, which were replaced/refunded by Newegg or Corsair. Indeed there are some horror stories with it, but that consists of 7% of all people who even bothered to leave a review. Almost everybody who has a bad experience will leave one, while most people who have a good experience won't bother.

I'm going to bed. I'm sure other people will chime in. Like I said, if the price different was greater, I would look into it. Since it's rather small, I would go for the more reputable brand in a heartbeat.

7. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    The TX series isn't THAT great, but is certainly very respectable. Good thing about the TX line is that they are still very reliable, bad thing is that their performance (efficiency and clean voltage etc) is only good, not great like, for example, the HX line.

idk Cougar at all, but Corsair has great customer service and good/great PSUs, you can't go wrong buying a Corsair

8. Sensi Karate

Sensi Karate New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm really liking the Cougar though. However if the Corsair is the better choice I may as-well choose the best.

9. Sensi Karate

Sensi Karate New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh I just found out I can get the Corsair HX-650 for $10 cheaper then the TX 750. Which is the better choice?

10. HXL492

HXL492

Thanks Received:
    Out of your current pick I would go for the HX-650 as it is a tad more efficient plus the OEM is Seasonic.
    You may need to get a 700W+ power supply if you plan on upgrading in the future
    I don't know about Cougar products though

11. Sensi Karate

Sensi Karate New Member

Thanks Received:
    So a HX-650w wouldnt support two crossfired 6870s?

Mm... Corsair HX-650, Corsair TX-750 or Cougar CMX-750...

12. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I think the HX is a better unit, plus it's modular, which I personally love. Have you checked out the XFX Black Edition PSU's? Some reviewers have put them in the same class as the best of the Corsairs. I've had both, and build quality is quite similar.

If I was running Crossfire, I'd consider something 750 or above. I don't like to come too close to maxing a PSU's capabilities. The additional stress and heat CAN decrease the lifespan of the PSU. Not to mention the additional power will give you flexibility with upgrades. If you choose wisely, you can carry over your PSU to more new builds than any other component in your system.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  13. Sensi Karate

Sensi Karate New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just dont have the money to burn on a Corsair HX-750 which is like $60 more then the 650. And I'll check out the XFX, thanks.

So if I go for TX or HX, I'm going for more watts verses better quality + modular.

14. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    If you go XFX, don't go for the 650 XXX edition. Go only for the XFX Black Edition 750W

I personally would go with 750W if you are thinking of crossfiring 6870s

15. Jack Doph

Jack Doph

Thanks Received:
  16. Sensi Karate

Sensi Karate New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think I'll go for the Corsair TX-750, Corsair HX-650 or Cougar CMX-700, though I like that Antech 750w Jack mentioned.

So hard to decide, want it to last awhile.

Not really a guru on PSU's so does modular help ALOT since I've never owned a modular PSU.

17. Jack Doph

Jack Doph

Thanks Received:
    Modular helps to keep your case uncluttered, which helps in keeping your airflow good, as well as looking good ;)

18. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    The TX series units are some of the best power supplies on the market. They're cheaper than newer units by a fair amount, but only marginally worse. It's still backed by Corsair's warranty and legendary customer service. And given that these things are discontinued, if it ever dies (hopefully not, or at least won't take anything with it if it does) you can expect to be receiving an HX or AX series unit as a replacement.

Modularity is more of a luxury than it is a necessity, unless your case has poor airflow. Given that you have a HAF 922, you would probably not notice a different in temperatures between modular and non-modular.

19. Sensi Karate

Sensi Karate New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok I'm sold on Corsair but I actually really like the Corsair HX-650 after watching and reading a few reviews on it.

Only worry is if I want to crossfire in the future, but 650 seems ample enough?

20. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    TBH, the TX750 is giving you more bang for your buck than an HX650. If modularity is not a big concern for you, and that you aren't doingg some serious overclocking (so much so that you need ultra clean voltage) than go TX750.

21. Sensi Karate

Sensi Karate New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok we'll since I want my PSU to last I'm allowing myself to spend another $50 and get a Corsair HX-750 over the TX750 and HX-650.

Good idea and worth the extra cost?

22. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    ino Corsair makes awesome psu's i got a Cougar CM700 myself i luv it, and the sim/modular-thingy is a nice, so u only need the cables u use, and not to have like a bunch in the buttom or top of ur case ^^

but about the choose of Corsair or Couger go with the cheapest u won't be much amazed over the expensive one or u can go expensive and buy SeaSonic x:

23. Sensi Karate

Sensi Karate New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok I'm just gonna order my Corsair HX-750 now. Thanks to everyone for there help. :)

24. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    i hope u will be happy to get a modular psu that does u can make cable management easier :p

25. Sensi Karate

Sensi Karate New Member

Thanks Received:
    Haha thanks. :) Always hated my PSU's cable design and it being so short I could barely reach anything and looked so cluttered. Cant wait for my new PSU now and finally run this MSI Twin Froz II 6870. :D