1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need overclocking help

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Xerphon, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Xerphon New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm having a bit of a problem, I can't seem to OC my system no matter what I do. Here is what I have.

AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Processor

ASUS M4A79 Deluxe Motherboard

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 Dual Channel Kit

SIGMA MONSTER SP650C 650W Continuous @ 40°C ATX12V 2.2V / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Active PFC Power Supply

XCLIO WTBK ADVANCED Fully Black Finish Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case

XFX Radeon 4890 1GB DDR5 PCI-E Video Card

I'm using the stock HSF for the CPU, but PC Probe picks up the idle temps on the CPU at around 40C and 33C for the Motherboard. Also, I have the BIOS Vcore set to 1.35v and in the BIOS and in PC Probe it shows up as 1.39v-1.40v... is it supposed to fluctuate like that? Now it seems whatever I try and do to OC this machine it just won't run stable, and i'm not talking crazy amounts here... raising the multi from 15 to 15.5 or 16 makes the system unstable. Increase the Vcore a little to try and level it out, still unstable and still fluctuating voltage in the bios and PC Probe...

The only thing I can think of doing next is to get a good Thermaltake HSF and some Artic Silver 5 and give that a try... also I'm using and old HDD, don't know if that matters with the system being unstable with any amount of overclocking. It's a old IDE ATA 100 2MB Buffer Western Digital Drive... Was also going to upgrade that to a new Western Digital SATA 1TB drive with 32MB buffer... does any of this sound like it may help? Also, if anyone who reads this has the same specs or close specs to mine, let me know how they're system overclocks and how they're doing it, multi or fsb, whatever. Thanks in advance to everyone who takes the time to read and even help if they can...

2. stevednmc

stevednmc

Thanks Received:
    Im not really up on AMD, but the first thing to do would be to get rid of the stock HSF and TIM. Overclocking with stock cooling is not a god idea with any brand i wouldnt think. I dont think the hrad drive should have much bearing on the oc though. However i could be wrong, and im sure someone smarter than I could be more clear on this.

3. Xerphon New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok going out in 15 minutes to pick up a Thermaltake V1, which I read up on and is said to be a pretty good HSF and I have some Artic Silver 5 laying around. Gonna get the HDD anyway cuz this one isn't large enough and too slow for me now anyway. I knew stock HSF isn't good for OC'n, but I though a small OC would be fine, guess not though. Thanks for the reply.

4. TONYSALEM New Member

Thanks Received:
    For the money your gonna pay for the V1, check to see if they have a coolermaster hyper 212 PLUS and grab a second fan for push/pull... They work wonders and are cheap!

As for overclocking the AMD chip.. i am not a big AMD overclocker but i am sure someone here will be glad to help in that department. So please do post back after you get some good cooling :rockout:

[​IMG]

5. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    If you can could you download CpuZ and also Harware monitor from cpuz site both free and GpuZ from here and TPU Capture and give us a screen shot with CPUZ and GPUZ and HwMonitor..

It's all free to download and GPUZ and TPU Capture you get from TPU's home page under DownLoads

you should be able to OC somewhat well

6. Xerphon New Member

Thanks Received:
    Installed the V1 and my CPU idle temp dropped from about 40C to 30C, which is almost exactly the same temp that my board is reading at in PC Probe... I'll install and post those screens too, thanks.

7. stevednmc

stevednmc

Thanks Received:
    wow! nice difference. Im sure it will help you reach your goal.

8. neatfeatguy

neatfeatguy

Thanks Received:
    So how are things going? You get things working in your favor yet for an overclock?

I've got my Phenom II x4 940 @ 3.6 on air so you shouldn't be having any issues just pushing yours up a spot or two on the multiplier.

9. stevednmc

stevednmc

Thanks Received:
    I am curious as well! let us know how its going..

10. Fatal

Fatal

Thanks Received:
    I can overclock this high with 1.47v both are stable keeping the current clock. Been working on the 940 for some time mine will not go higher than 3.7 stable.

Old
    [​IMG]
    Current
    [​IMG]