1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

need router advice

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by leemerlord, Oct 19, 2010.

1. leemerlord New Member

Thanks Received:
    my parents want a new routor and i had no clue want to suggest as i have no real knowledge other then knowing how to hook it up and make them work lol. we currently have the Belkin enhanced wireless routor N 150 and since my dad has returned home from his tour over sea's ive noticed my connection being slowed down(i am wired btw, both parents have laptops and my mom has a desktop that is wireless). If there is something that i could do to make it go faster w/o buying a new routor that would be great, if you need more info ill be pleased to answer :)

2. timta2

Thanks Received:
    Have you made sure that it is secured? (WPA2?) Some routers require occasional resetting. Have you tested speeds directly to the modem vs with the router?

3. leemerlord New Member

Thanks Received:
    i cant remember who told me this before but ive been told to reset your routor atleast every month? idk if thats good or bad but i do it, and ya ive tried that, i was faster just straight out of the modem but then got yelled at because no one else had internet :laugh:

4. streetfighter 2

streetfighter 2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I almost never reset my router.

Also your question is potentially gargantuan.

Not only could someone be leeching bandwidth by wardriving, but there could also be viruses on your LAN computers that are busy stealing bandwidth...

Get started with wireless security here:
    http://en-us-support.belkin.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/28

Run all the virus scanners you can on all of the computers connected to your router! I recommend using MBAM to start with:
    http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

5. leemerlord New Member

Thanks Received:
    ive never heard of wardriving

6. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Maybe you guys are all doing bandwidth intensive activities and your connection cant cut it? What is your line rated for?

streetfighter 2 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. leemerlord New Member

Thanks Received:
    um i dont know exactly right now but i now for a fact its the highest possible w/o going into business packages

8. streetfighter 2

Thanks Received:
    You are a complete jerk for pointing out the most obvious thing that I completely failed to mention. :)

I have a knack for using the term inappropriately. I've always taken it to mean any unapproved access to a wireless network, which isn't technically correct.

I'm not familiar with your area but you should ask the people named on the bill whether it is DSL or cable (or perhaps something else). If it's DSL it's not that hard to clog the tubes :D.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  9. timta2

Thanks Received:
    Maybe someone is doing some heavy downloading? It's a good idea to cap total upload bandwidth on the connection to like 80% or so. Perhaps you can do more testing when the others don't need the connection, like at night when everyone else is asleep?

A new router isn't going to help if the bandwidth is not being used correctly.

10. mrhuggles

mrhuggles

Thanks Received:
    WHR-HP-GN with the latest brainslayer build of dd-wrt, also you want to get one of those black 16 inch RM-SMA antennas, they wont be hard to find [they require the router be vertical due to shoddy plastic molding, they work really well tho], thats 40 bux for a router, 10 or even less for an antenna, and free for a good router os, 2.4ghz 802.11n [64mbps in mixed mode, 150mbps in n-only] and 100mbps lan, but on the plus side thats only 50 bux total for something that will perform great and never crash or slow down.

11. kylzer

kylzer New Member

Thanks Received:
  12. leemerlord New Member

Thanks Received:
    download i got 31.87 Mb/s upload got 5.15 Mb/s with a 78ms from ramona where i live to san diego

13. timta2

Thanks Received:
    That's very respectable. Really nice on the upload (Compared to me anyway). 78ms is ok I guess. I get as low as 50-60ms ping sometimes to close servers (Chicago) but I do pay extra for business class cable connection.

14. leemerlord New Member

Thanks Received:
    my dad does have antenna from when he was at a camp in the back ass woods of no where in afghan

15. streetfighter 2

Thanks Received:
    Honestly I complain my ass off for anything greater than 20ms. You guys are quacks. :)

leemerlord does have good speeds though.

leemerlord says thanks.
  16. timta2

Thanks Received:
    I'm sure your ISP loves it when your name pops up on the caller ID. LOL

I guess that was a little off and since I haven't ran speed tests in forever I decided to give it a try. I did get a few sub 20ms pings to servers even closer to me. I guess it really all depends on the test server though as some perform poorly.

17. kylzer

kylzer New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thats pretty good i can't see your house maxing out that connection if there browsing or even streaming some stuff unless they all heavy downloaders

it will be something to do with the router at least its narrowed down a bit.

18. leemerlord New Member

Thanks Received:
    from what i know they dont download crap, unless she is buying something from itunes, thats about it, unless they are seceretly downloading music or movies or something, other then that i have no clue but i am positive they dont do any heavy DLing

19. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    or pronz!!!!

20. leemerlord New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol maybe idk

21. Bigjohn

Bigjohn

Thanks Received:
    Speedtest is lame, from a network analysis point of view. it's a "burst" speed test more than anything.

http://www.connectionanalyzer.com/

Look at your router manual and see if there is any quality of service capability.
    Make sure all your end points (computers and other devices) that are connected are either wired or using an N adapter. When you put a router like that in "compatibility mode" you are making the router work harder, and, reduces the overall "wireless" bandwidth.

22. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    are your rents also having issues with connection or speed when they got on when everyone is?